Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random black squares in Motion Template I created?

This is weird; my searching didn't show anyone else going through this, but here goes. I created a template in Motion for FCP X (started life as a Composition and then Published as a generator). After discovering Motion templates don't support sound (#@%&$#**!!!!), I still need to use it and all seemed well:

http://www.eusd.org/quicktime/common_core_clean.mov

However, when I transferred the folder containing the Generator (Movies > Motion Templates > Generators > My Generators) to another computer (actually, three others), they have these weird random black squares that appear in the FCP X project and the exported output:

http://www.eusd.org/quicktime/common_core_blocks.mov

Same exact generator as used on the first example. I thought maybe it was because I transferred via Dropbox, so I tried via airdrop. Same problem. I then thought maybe if I zipped the folder before transferring, that might avoid the scrambled eggs. No such luck. Again, it's the exact same folder from the original project. The only other variable I can think of is the other machines needed to have one of the fonts installed, but I did that before accessing the template.

As you can tell from the video clips, this is for use in a K-8 school district in S. California and it was intended to be used by several people. We can't do that if I can't solve this riddle. Any light anyone may be able to shed would be greatly appreciated.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), 24 GB RAM, 3 TB Fusion Drive

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 2:31 PM

2 replies

Sep 27, 2013 11:33 PM in response to fmaggi

Are all the FCPX versions up to date? Creating templates on newer versions of Motion than the corresponding version of FCPX can cause unexpected "aberrations". For instance, trying to run a Motion template created in Motion 5.0.7 probably will not work at all on versions of FCPX 10.0.5 or earlier. (There were also issues with projects created in versions of Motion 5.0.2 and before with FCPX 10.0.3 and later.)

BTW, I work with projects transfered via dropbox frequently without a hitch (as long as the folder structure is maintained.) And zipping templates also works just fine. You shouldn't be developing problems from this aspect.

Sep 28, 2013 7:57 AM in response to fmaggi

Thank you, fox_m, for your reply. I am up to date on all the apps. I think I've fixed it. I started turning elements on and off to see if I could make the problem go away and, apparently, one of the lights was the culprit (I have 5 in all). I deleted/replaced and that seemed to do it. It doesn't explain why it was fine on the original work station and I also have to test moving this "fixed" version to other computers to see if it stays clean. Just weird. Thanks again.

Random black squares in Motion Template I created?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.