Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.8.5 Network Device Issues

Since installing the 10.8.5 update I have completely lost access to the network devices that I have installed. Both my Time Capsule and my Brother Printer show offline and inaccessible from my Macbook Pro, but I've verified that both devices are online and usable from other sources. Also, my internet connection is lightning fast so there is not a problem with my router access. I even did a soft reset on my Time Capsule and was able to get it to start working again but as soon as my Macbook Pro went into sleep mode it lost access to it again and wouldn't recognize it.

Is there any resolution in the works on this?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 2:32 PM

8 replies

Sep 28, 2013 10:07 AM in response to kcpearson

Is there any resolution in the works on this?

If this were an OS X problem, thousands of others would be posting here, not 5 or 10.

This is a problem with your Mac or your network.

Have you looked at your Network prefs, to see if your correct location or Automatic is showing in "Location:?" Try creating a Location.

Try a Safe Boot to both repair your drive and clear some system caches (these are what gets done automatically):

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph11212

Sep 28, 2013 10:45 AM in response to greg sahli

I think that it is pretty coincidental that I've started experiencing issues with network devices that I've never had issues with until installing 10.8.5. Nothing has changed except that update and my network is functioning perfectly for all other computers and devices connecting to it. Also, I've seen many comments on 10.8.5 related to connectivity issues so I think the problem is far larger than just 5-10 people.

I'll look at a couple of your suggestions but I'm doubtful this is going to be repaired without a development fix being issued.

Sep 28, 2013 11:44 AM in response to greg sahli

Well Greg...it looks like I owe you an apology...so I apologize! I'm not sure if the switch happened with the 10.8.5 update or if something transpired during a reboot but it looks like my time capsule created an additional wireless network in my house. So, even though my macbook was connected to the network that it has always been connected to, my network printer and my time capsule were unavailable until I connected my Macbook to the time capsule network. I am still baffled as to how all of this happened but there you go! Instead of trying to figure it out I just connected my macbook to the time capsule network and now I have full access to the time capsule and the network printer...even though everything else in my house is connected to the other network.

As long as it works I guess!

Sep 28, 2013 3:34 PM in response to kcpearson

No need to apologize here in "the discussions." We are all learning things every day.

If I understand your home network, you have two wireless routers? and one of them is plugged into the other? That is called nested subnetworks, and gives symptoms like you experienced. In general, you should have just one router doing DHCP, DNS, NAT, etc. (ie, router functions). The second router in the chain should be setup to be a wifi access point.

It was disappointing that the update seems to have changed your settings.

Sep 28, 2013 4:02 PM in response to greg sahli

I've got one router but my time capsule affords wireless access as well. Therefore, I can access the Internet through either of them. The capsule is connected to the router through an Ethernet cord. Both the router and time capsule and router show up as available wireless networks. It just seems that my MacBook is preferring to to access my network devices through the time capsule instead of through the router. The strange thing is that this has been my configuration for over a year and I've never had an issue until now.

Sep 28, 2013 10:14 PM in response to greg sahli

Greg,

After doing quite a bit of research on the Time Capsule setup, I discovered that Apple actually suggests that you set up your Time Capsule as a Wireless Network for your Mac because it activates the Time Capsule as your primary base station. They specify this here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1178 in the first paragraph...plus I found a few other sources that indicated that this was the best set up...mainly because it eliminates any other networks as the primary and keeps the conflicts at bay. Although I did reorder my network options to tell my Macbook that the Time Capsule access was the primary network.

Interestingly enough, I couldn't even get my Time Capsule to connect without errors when I attempted to add it to an existing network...so I can see why they strongly suggest creating an additional network with it.

Everything seems to be working perfectly now...

10.8.5 Network Device Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.