Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 2 freezes when I click to import photographs

I need help with Aperture 2 on OS X10.6.8 - Snow Leopard. My library and projects are fine, but whenever I select "import" either from the toolbar or from the File menu, the application completeley locks on me with the spinning coloured wheel. No matter how long I wait, the program never recovers. I have:

o Cleaned out my library and slimmed it down. My hard drive has plenty of space on it!

o Tried a CF card reader, usb cable, the internal card reader on the iMac, but I do not even get to the stage of selecting where I want to import from...

o Tried a new library

o Repaired permissions with Disk Utility

o Repaired the library and rebuilt projects

o Uninstalled and re-installed Aperture 2, with and without software updates to latest version

o Removed preferences, library receipts etc and tried reinstalling again.

o ... and sent a whole load of error reports to Apple!

Can anyone help? The program is totally useless without the ability to import!

Thanks in advance.

Aperture 2, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 3:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 5:32 PM

True importing is important!

If you click on Import with no camera or card reader attached does it do the same thing? In other words can you import from the filesystem?

You've tried just about all the standard troubleshooting steps we recommend except I don't see creating a new user, logging in as that user and trying Aperture. That will help narrow down the problem to either your environment or the system. You should give that a shot now.

When did this problem start? Was anything changed on the system around that time?

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano - To be honest getting help with Aperture 2 running on SL will be difficult. There are not to many people left running that configuration anymore so testing things out will be difficult. regards

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2013 5:32 PM in response to sculptorpete

True importing is important!

If you click on Import with no camera or card reader attached does it do the same thing? In other words can you import from the filesystem?

You've tried just about all the standard troubleshooting steps we recommend except I don't see creating a new user, logging in as that user and trying Aperture. That will help narrow down the problem to either your environment or the system. You should give that a shot now.

When did this problem start? Was anything changed on the system around that time?

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano - To be honest getting help with Aperture 2 running on SL will be difficult. There are not to many people left running that configuration anymore so testing things out will be difficult. regards

Sep 28, 2013 5:22 AM in response to sculptorpete

Thank you for your swift reply. I created a new user and tested Aperture import. It worked fine. Strangely enough, when I returned to my original user login, Aperture worked correctly for the first time this week... I haven't changed anything in the OS, updates. The problem was ANY importing, I was unable to get to the point where I could select where to import from.

Your fix has helped, but since it appears to have been an issue local to my profile, could you suggest any way I could make sure this doesn't happen again? I appreciate your taking the time to help!

My current theory is that it may have been a problem started by my usb - SD card reader, since with the retun of my ability to import I have now discovered some issues with that device and its effect on my camera cards, but cannot be 100% sure that it could have affected Aperture.

Sep 28, 2013 5:33 AM in response to sculptorpete

You're right that is a bit strange. What I proposed, using a new user, was really a troubleshooting step to narrow down the problem, never expected to fix it!

The only way that that procedure could possibly have cleared the problem was by getting you to log out of your account and then back in it might have had some effect. Had you logged out and back in or rebooted the system since the problem started?

If you are having a problem with the USB card reader, logging out and back in might have reset it if it was the cause. Keep an eye on it and if the problem happens again try logging out and back in or better reboot and see if that helps.

good luck

regards

Sep 28, 2013 8:07 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Really strange!

If you are having a problem with the USB card reader, logging out and back in might have reset it if it was the cause. Keep an eye on it and if the problem happens again try logging out and back in or better reboot and see if that helps.

Perhaps it is also the card itself. I'd reformat the card in the camera, after importing all images, and if the contacts on the card are no longer good, try to use a different card.

Aperture 2 freezes when I click to import photographs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.