Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get Dell U2711 to work consistently at 2560x1440

I can not, for the life of me, get one of my dual external monitors to correctly detect. Sometimes, it works great, and then, for whatever reason it gets mis-recongized coming out of sleep and then I'm stuck for weeks at a time with it wrong.

Specs:

Retina MBP 15 Inch (first gen) 2.6/16gb paired with GeForce GT650M 1024MB.

Dell U2711 Connected via Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort on the Dell U2711

Dell U2410 Connected via HDMI->DVI Adapter then to DVI on the U2410.

Retina Mac is running in 1680x1050 Equivalent.

Ideal resolution for the U2711 is 2560x1440.

Ideal resolution for the U2410 is 1920x1200 (in portrait)

I never have any problems with the U2711 when connected to my windows PC via Dual-Link DVI. The problems are only with my Mac.

Sometimes When I go into Displays, it shows 2 Options: 1080p and 2560x1440. Even when I select 2560x1440, it just reverts back to 1080p.

Other times, it never lists 2560x1440, and thus of course I can't select the native resolution. When I go into System Information (when it's not working) it shows the U2711 as a TV (and sometimes I have over-scan/under-scan control).

How do I fix this? I've tried PRAM/NVRAM reset. I've tried both of the Thunderbolt ports. Once it stops working, it basically requires me to re-format the machine to get it to work again, which is a non-trivial problem as it's a work computer, and I work out-of-state from my Headquarters.

Please advise, it's comical that I can't get a modern laptop to consistently use the native resolution of a $1,000 monitor.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 4:37 PM

9 replies

Oct 15, 2013 1:29 AM in response to corrren

You need to remove your Mac's windowserver preference files.

Do this by deleting the following items:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist

/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.[number].plist

After you've done that, reset your PRAM — turn off your computer, press the Power key and then press and hold the Option + Command + P + R keys at the same time until you hear a second startup chime.

After you've done that everything should be back to normal 🙂

Nov 10, 2013 11:12 AM in response to dankando

I have the same problem with my MacBook Pro 13" early 2011 model and Dell Ultrasharp U2711 monitor since the upgrade to OS X 10.9 Mavericks. Neither the original Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter nor a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable works, after about five minutes the monitor goes to power-saving mode.

I already tried to reset the reset the NVRAM and PRAM as described there http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379 and deleted the files which dankando mentioned.

Nothing worked until now 😟

Any ideas?

Feb 1, 2014 3:30 AM in response to wrxtasy

I tried this and it worked for abaout 20 to 30 minutes. Than the monitor goes to energy saving mode again and only comes back for another 20 to 30 minutes after a full restart.

Under this circumstances it’s now impossible to work with a Apple MacBook Pro 13" (early 2011) with OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks and a Dell Ultrasharp U2711. Very bad support from Apple…

I hope there will be a fix in OS X 10.9.2.

Mar 9, 2014 3:23 PM in response to martineberle

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue.

Tried a few things (restetting vram etc) with apple support on the phone, changed cables and nothing worked. I even got a new replacement model from Dell to check if it might be the monitors problem but I still have the same issue even with the new model.

Did you come across any solution? Have you tried the rgb patch?

i use a mid2012 macbook pro non retina by the way

Mar 10, 2014 2:40 AM in response to michaeljooss

Hi Michael,

no, until now there is no solution. I’ve tried the RGB patch but this was not successful. I’ve tried a lot of different cables as well, no improvement.

The thing is: my early 2011 13" MBP worked well with the screen with OS X 10.7 and 10.8. Since the upgrade to OS X 10.9 Mavericks it’s not working anymore. And that’s very bad. Just like Apple made my 27" Screen useless. 😟

Martin

Mar 10, 2014 2:46 AM in response to martineberle

same happened to me - it all started after upgrading to 10.9. Mavericks.

the screen is pretty much useless at the moment and unfortunately it hasen't been fixed in 10.9.2.

But what I am wondering is - the Dell U2711 is quite a popular screen. But it seems that the majoity hasn't had the issue as we have. Otherwise there would be a lot more comments and questions online.

So do you think it might be a hardware defect at the end?

Is there any (easy) way to get the old OS back? or is that not recommendable?

Michael

Mar 16, 2014 6:32 PM in response to corrren

I've had a MacBookPro (~2008/2009 model) to U2711 set-up since 2011, and yesterday the **** monitor kicked into "eternal power saver mode". A tech support guy at Dell insisted that the problem was with my Mac (old driver), HOWEVER, we confirmed that when the laptop wasn't even connected, the monitor defaulted to Power Saver mode. Hmmm...perhaps this has something to do with the monitor?! 😐

Here's the fix that actually worked for me:

1. Disconnect the mini-DVI cable from your laptop. (I'm pretty sure that's the cable I have.)
  2. Turn off your monitor.
  3. Unplug your monitor.
  4. Hold down the monitor's power button for two minutes (to "release the energy"...or, perhap, "release the hounds?")
  5. Plug your monitor back in.
  6. Turn on your monitor.
  7. Reconnect your cable to your laptop. (Okay, perhaps you do those last two steps in reverse order. I'm tired and cranky at the moment.)

Voila! It worked.

It took my Mac display a few minutes to get sorted out again (it looked "foggy", for lack of a better term), but everything's working just fine now. We'll see if it holds....

Can't get Dell U2711 to work consistently at 2560x1440

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.