Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing OS X 10.8.5 system fonts. How do I reinstall them?

Just got my new iMac (3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, OS X 10.8.5). I accidentally deleted (or rather allowed FontBook to overwrite) some system fonts and obviously need to replace them. In this era of not receiving an OS disk anymore - how do I restore the missing fonts?

Also - getting frustrated with font management on the new system. I'm a graphic designer - so I have thousands of fonts (of all kinds and sources) and OS X 10.8.5 has decided that lots of them are problematic. Tried FontDoctor (newest version) and it fixed a lot of issues. The question I have about fonts is - other than FontBook - what font management software (best at viewing, using and conflict resolution) would you suggest?

I'm not too impressed with FontAgent because it doesn't always turn on the fonts that I need (5 times I opened the same document and each time different fonts are missing and I have to go manually turn them back on). I prefer a font program that simply leaves all of my fonts on at once. How is Suitcase Fusion 5? Any other suggestions?

Old Macs used to have a limit to the number of fonts that can be open at one time. Is there still a limit?

Thanks for your help.

Sue

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 5:41 PM

3 replies

Sep 27, 2013 7:18 PM in response to SGottschick

If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data, then reinstall the OS. You don't need to erase the startup volume, and you won't need your backup unless something goes wrong. If your Mac was upgraded from an older version of OS X, you’ll need the Apple ID and password you used to upgrade.

If you installed the Java runtime distributed by Apple and still need it, you'll have to reinstall it.

Sep 28, 2013 5:01 PM in response to AlRoRo

Thank you both for your input. Starting in Safe Mode helped. I also discovered that part of my problem was that I was missing some of Microsoft fonts (Word & Exel would no longer open) and once I uninstalled and then reinstalled Microsoft Office the rest of the problems disappeared. So far so good. Now I'll just have to experiment with different font management softwares.

Missing OS X 10.8.5 system fonts. How do I reinstall them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.