Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.mov files no video but has sound in premiere pro cs6

I know this isn't adobe. However, all of my .mov files play with no video in quicktime, premiere pro cs6, and sony vegas 9. I've looked into the missing codec, and quicktime brings me to the general page with multiple codecs listed. This happens with two different types of cameras. Both HD. I have Windows 7. Does anyone know why the files won't play video? Thanks.

Windows 7

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 7:09 PM

15 replies

May 7, 2017 6:25 AM in response to MrCodeBlocks

Instead of having a ******* match for 4 posts, you could have written 2 words "Install quicktime".

Your point would be valid IFF posters had actually indicated which video codec was causing a problem in the MOV file container AND the problem codec was known to be included in the Windows QT 7 Pro installer package. Otherwise a different specific solution would be required.

Basically four types of users frequent these forums:

1. Those who want to find a solution for a particular problem, are willing to provide sufficient information to determine the specific nature of the problem, and learn enough from their experience here to develop the cognitive skills required to solve similar issues on their own in the future.
  2. Those who come here for a solution to be arrived at by arbitrary guessing (since they refuse to provide any helpful information regarding the specific nature of their problem) and don't care about 'why' an issue exists nor are they even remotely interested in learning 'how' to fixed similar problems in the future.
  3. Those who come here merely to vent their exasperations—frequently displaying a total inability to comprehend the basic rudiments of problem solving logic or the proper use of language without resorting to profanity or vulgarity.
  4. And finally, those actually attempting to help by concisely and completely defining an issue before offering one or more specific solutions.

Everyone is entitled to express their opinions here—although more poise is usually expected and appreciated. Since you have already expressed yours so eloquently and revealingly, I can only repeat the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson when he wrote, "What you are stands over you the while, and thunders so that I cannot hear what you say to the contrary."

User uploaded file

May 7, 2017 4:56 PM in response to MrCodeBlocks

Simple answers first ALWAYS

Am reasonably certain that anyone reading your words here would agree with their sentiments. However, it remains unclear to me how you determined that installing QT 7 was both the simplest AND only correct solution. E.g., if the problem codec had been the H.265 video codec, then installing QT 7 would not have solved the playback issue since no current version of QT supports this codec natively. (I.e., incorrect solutions are never "simple.") In fact, your comment to dniklaus suggests his solution was adopted a priori and only later confirmed as viable in your particular case (just as it was for him). On the other hand, knowing the codec involved would tell any experienced user whether or not this solution was workable before installation and whether or not additional and/or alternative measures would need to be adopted. To me, this latter approach seems "simpler" and more reliably correct in all instances while your "trial and error" approach seems more complex "in the long run."

Further, the original question asked was "Does anyone know why the files won't play video?" To which the very first response given was "The overall answer is that whatever player you are using is not compatible with whatever codec has been placed in the MOV file container." I.e., the "simple" but specific solution to the problem depends on the particular codec used to encode the video, as well as, the particular media player being targeted for media playback. Unfortunately, there is no single solution for all possible proprietary codec-player combinations here. Thus, solutions are always relative to the current needs/requirements of the individual user.

User uploaded file

Sep 28, 2013 5:32 AM in response to LordRebeccaSama

Does anyone know why the files won't play video?

The overall answer is that whatever player you are using is not compatible with whatever codec has been placed in the MOV file container. That is, the MOV file container is generic in nature. Any compressed data compatible with an app or device having the ability to wrap data into an MOV file container can place that data into an MOV file whether or not your target plyer app can support playback.

I've looked into the missing codec, and quicktime brings me to the general page with multiple codecs listed.

No you haven't. Pressing a button that takes you to a page that lists a few third-pasrty codecs sponsored by the Apple web site is not "looking into the missing coidec." Actually analyzing the non-playing file to learn what specific codec is missing is looking into the matter. If the file opens in a player, use that player's media info or inspector window to lind out what audio and video compression formats were actually used to create the file and the ensure your player/system supports that codec. If the file can't be opened in a player, then use a media utility app that will provide this information. Since you appear to own two cameras whose file data is not supported, you should already know what the problem codecs are id you read the manual.

Since you have provided not real information regarding the compression formats involved, any information about your workflow, and not specified your goals, it is virtually impossible to provide a solution to your problem.

User uploaded file

Sep 29, 2013 7:45 PM in response to Jon Walker

jon - no idea why you were such a snarky SOB in your reply. person was just asking for some help. obviously stuck and could use some advise. you could have chosen to ask a few clarifying questions to see if additional info could be gleaned. instead you CHOSE to be mean. NOT COOL. if you hate being a support person, dont offer your help and dont go online. otherwise, change your attitude.

for lordrebeccasama - there are people out there that would like to help. I would suggest you try to get answers to some of these questions and post - people may have some ideas: Does this problem occur with all MOV files or just certain ones. if just certain ones, can you ell which camera or source produced the file? can you see if the files can be played on other machines (like another PC or a MAC)? if you can, try to get into the properties of the MOV file (the container) and see if you can tell how it was encoded. good luck - and on behalf of all people that actually like to help, i apologize on behalf of jon.

Sep 29, 2013 8:28 PM in response to streamnwatch

jon - no idea why you were such a snarky SOB in your reply. person was just asking for some help. obviously stuck and could use some advise. you could have chosen to ask a few clarifying questions to see if additional info could be gleaned. instead you CHOSE to be mean. NOT COOL. if you hate being a support person, dont offer your help and dont go online. otherwise, change your attitude.

If you feel my comments were inappropriate, then feel free to report my post as such. If you feel the information was incorrect, then please provide what you feel to be more correct information. The object of my comments was to 1) point out that no accurate solution was possible without amplifying information, 2) inform the individual why more information was needed, and 3) describe at least three methods for getting the required information. It was not my intent to be either "mean" or "cool" but rather to teach the individual how to analyize their video content in order to become more self-sufficient in the future. Perhaps if you concentrated more on the content of my response than on your emotional interpretations of what you think was implied, you might find something of value.

My question for you is,"Did you actually create a new profile tonight to hide your normal identity while you berate my response?"

for lordrebeccasama - there are people out there that would like to help. I would suggest you try to get answers to some of these questions and post - people may have some ideas: Does this problem occur with all MOV files or just certain ones. if just certain ones, can you ell which camera or source produced the file? can you see if the files can be played on other machines (like another PC or a MAC)? if you can, try to get into the properties of the MOV file (the container) and see if you can tell how it was encoded. good luck - and on behalf of all people that actually like to help, i apologize on behalf of jon.

Since you have essentially asked for the same information I did, albeit in a more indirect manner, I don't feel any apology is needed on my behalf.

User uploaded file

Sep 29, 2013 8:51 PM in response to Jon Walker

jon - ok this is not productive for anyone. all it is showing is your true self and your lack of what I personally think is someone who represents they want to help but is choosing not to.

but in the interest of making sure that the original individual is not blamed for something they did not do, let me say that i am not that original person. yes - i did just create my support ID tonight because i never had a need to post anything. i have been working in the computers space for 25+ years at all levels - from programming to management. i currently manage IT customer service teams and without question, i would fire anyone who gave response like yours. i am not interested in "reporting you", getting you in trouble or even asking your to apologize - i was merely pointing out that your answer was not helpful, came across snarky and that you should know better as someone who provides support.

and in case you are wondering why now and why this post, i had a similar issue on my friends PC over the weekend and was researching it for him. I had a few hours in the airport and am killing some time.

so, if you are ****** someone called you out...so be it. but be ****** at me not the individual who actually needs help.

i hope the individual gets the support they need and solves the problem. i hope that they dont stop asking questions and learning and I hope they dont get discouraged by responses by people like jon.

Sep 29, 2013 9:27 PM in response to streamnwatch

ok this is not productive...

... he said as he continued to type several additional paragraphs.

In any case, LordRebeccaSama, if you post the codecs contained in your problem MOV files or can upload a sample file for examination, I'm sure one of the other regulars here like b noir, Jacumba, QuickTimeKirk, etc. will make an attempt to assist you further.

User uploaded file

.mov files no video but has sound in premiere pro cs6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.