Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movies in Itunes not showing up on Apple TV

I am finding that some movies which I have added to Itunes and play fine on my Mac, do not appear on my Apple TV. They are mpeg4 with the H.264 codec, which is what all my videos are. I have tried rebooting the ATV and also restarting Itunes on my Mac, but still the same thing. I have a category which contains 7 items, but only 5 of them appear on the ATV. It's driving me a bit crazy! Hope someone has an idea about what to do.

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 7:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 7:12 PM

Where are these movies coming from? What were they encoded with?

Here is the compatibility needed for ATV

• H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.0 or lower, Baseline profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
  • MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2013 7:12 PM in response to Cartoonguy

Where are these movies coming from? What were they encoded with?

Here is the compatibility needed for ATV

• H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.0 or lower, Baseline profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
  • MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

Sep 28, 2013 9:46 AM in response to RogerOut

What the...!!! This solved it. I've never once used that option to change anything and I have no idea what it means or why that is an option. I mean, a movie is a movie, but it was set to "home video" and so I changed it to "movie" and suddenly it appeared on Apple TV. What the heck is that all about.

Thank you RogerOut, but if you have any explanation for this bizarre, unknown option, I would appreciate it.

Cheers!

Sep 28, 2013 10:05 AM in response to Cartoonguy

The option to choose Home video has been available for a long time. If you haven't chosen it yourself then the software that you use to create your video files has.

The only difference is that now the updated software in iTunes and on your Apple TV is able to sort these two media kinds separately. A movie is not just a movie, many users have home videos that they use their Apple TV for and have long been asking for the home video classification.

Sep 28, 2013 12:59 PM in response to Winston Churchill

What I'd like to know is this. Is "media type" a normal bit of meta data stored in all movie formats? Is this the job of the codex or the creator application? If you look at a MP4 file using Quicktime, there is no media type meta data listed anywhere. I've never seen it using any other application, either. How can we inspect the media type before we dump it into iTunes? If the field is empty, what media type does iTunes default to?

I found a series of educational movies that got set as a TV Show, for no reason, as I used the exact same application to create them as nearly all of my other movie files.

Sep 28, 2013 1:38 PM in response to Winston Churchill

You can view a lot of meta data in FCP 7, and pretty much the entire meta database in FCPX. There is no "media type" data field, although there is one called "media kind." The movie I inspected with FCPX had no "media kind" data, field was blank. Bring it into iTunes 11, media type was set to Home Movie.

iTunes must be using some other criteria to set that option field. I doubt they'll ever tell us how or why.

Sep 28, 2013 2:23 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Type. Yeah, my bad.

To default to simply Movie makes more sense than Home Movie, since the latter is a subset of the former. It's all arbitrary anyway.

edit: When you bring a movie file into MetaZ, it notes that the "video type" is empty and suggests Home Movie. It also offers Whacked Bookmark as a video type. 😀 Is someone going to tell the MetaZ people their terminology is wrong? 😉

Sep 28, 2013 2:54 PM in response to RogerOut

No it's not a sub set, it's an entirely different media kind. If a movie is purchased from iTunes it is already pre-defined. If a movie I record via eyeTV is added to iTunes, eyeTV adds a movie tag, there are very few other types of legitimate movies that can make their way into iTunes, so if the application you use to create your video doesn't add a tag, it's fairly safe to say it's either illegitimate or a home video and Apple don't take well to illegitimate movies.

Sep 28, 2013 5:37 PM in response to Winston Churchill

RogerOut makes some good points and this feels to me like a ham fisted attempt by Apple to take control of my media in a way that I don't want. The stuff it is choosing to call "home movie" is 100% legit movies, but not ones I bought through the itunes store. So I load a movie and then it mysteriously does not show up in my Apple TV because it has defaulted to "home movie".

What I still fail to understand is what the heck is the purpose of this apart from annoying users who's stuff now does not appear on ATV without explanation or warning. So glad to have this forum to help me, but why should I have to do this to figure out how to overcome a stupid thing that Itunes is doing to my movie (it is a movie!)?

As I say though, what possible benefit is it for a users media to be labelled in this way and anyway, why does calling it a home movie make it unreadable in ATV?

Movies in Itunes not showing up on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.