Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Are Some Good Antivirus out there?

I need help ! I've been looking this up for a long time but I still can't decide whats good enough for my laptop. I need somthing safe but really good at what it does. Free would be nice but I can afford to pay for a antivirus if I have to. (Also , know anything about Avast Antivirus ? If you have/had it tell me about it ! )

Mac Pro, Birthday Present :p

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 7:16 PM

5 replies

Sep 27, 2013 8:44 PM in response to rainbow_

You don't say what version of OS X you are using, but if it's a fully up-to-date 10.6.8 or above, you are protected against all currently known malware if you follow a few simple rules.

rainbow_ wrote:

Know anthing about avast?

From everything I've read it does a great job at detecting OS X malware, but some users find that it uses too much CPU computer power for their setup. The only way you'll know is to try it. This testing is a bit out-of-date now, but you can see how it compared in a limited test in January Mac anti-virus testing, part 2. Be sure and read the comments, then make up your own mind rather than listen to a bunch of us self-proclaimed experts.

Sep 28, 2013 3:21 AM in response to rainbow_

Beyond the results of the testing that MadMacs0 pointed you to, I do have a little additional information. I haven't personally done any extensive performance testing with Avast, but have heard from some knowledgeable people that it doesn't slow down their systems noticeably or cause crashes. On the downside, I've also seen a lot of cases where Avast was reporting that it had found something malicious, but the file in question was a legit part of the operating system. Removing it would have been bad.

So, if you choose Avast, just be aware of the possibility for false positives. (Of course, there's always that possibility with any anti-virus software, it's just that Avast seems more prone to it from the reports I've gotten second-hand.) If your anti-virus software ever reports that it has found something, check with someone knowledgeable on this topic before deleting the file in question.

What Are Some Good Antivirus out there?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.