Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4s will not sending pictures via text after update to ios 7

Just upgraded to iphone 4s and updated software to ios 7 and now I can not send pictures via text. I have restored my network settings and rebooted my phone and still have this problem. Any suggestions?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 9:08 PM

11 replies

Jun 2, 2015 5:03 AM in response to txkojak

I know this is an outdated question, but it comes up in the google search all the same. As I had the same issue, and was trying to figure out why text messages would go through but not pictures or video, and its an ongoing issue for people, I thought I would post my solution here. Resetting the network settings doesnt seem to work now, when youve just upgraded your phone. People who upgraded through their cellular provider shouldnt experience this problem below, but for those who got their phone outside of their cellular provider....read on.

Fast and short solution: Contact your cell phone carrier and update the phones IMEI number to your line.

Detailed (for those who like to know how the solution came about):

I did all the tricks:

*clear and delete the conversation of the person I was trying to send (sometimes if they get to big its like a traffic jam on the freeway)

*reset network settings

*reset all settings

*clear history/data from safari

*turn off imessage/facetime

*cycle cellular data on/off - turn off data roaming or LTE etc

*turn off wifi

*restore the whole phone altogether

*delete [if] any profiles attached to the phone

Since there are various reasons why the problem can occur, there are various solutions - for some people the above tricks may help.

In my case, none of them did.

I had wifi off, and had just restored my phone, when I went to turn on iMessages to try that route again. Because my wifi was off, iMessage tried to activate through cellular and that is the only reason I saw this error message: "cannot activate cellular data network". I checked my cellular data and it was on! I was able to make calls, send texts... so...???

Further research and I finally found the answer, which is that when you upgrade your phone, you have to (at least in the case with AT&T, I dont know if this applies to other carriers) notify them of your new phone, by giving them the IMEI number of your phone to assign to your number. The reason - and the AT&T agent confirmed this with me, is that each phone (even if its the same phone but different model) has its own type of data plan. So on their end, the 5 has a different type of data plan then the 6.

*This makes no change to the data plan on your account, so dont worry -thats a different type of "data plan". 🙂

Just log in your account, go into chat, and let them know youd like to update your IMEI number to your phone line. You should have that ready, its in Settings/General/About. Once applied, they see a pop up that lets them know what type of plan to associate with your account, which they select; then they will ask you to reboot your phone.

iphone 4s will not sending pictures via text after update to ios 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.