Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What speed should I get on my N network?

I've got a MacBook Air on my wireless network. I have a Time Capsule then two Airport base stations extended off of this. I'm wondering what speed should I get in transfer theoretically. I feel my WIFI network performs horribly.

I have a 150 meg per sec download internet connection or better and on my hardwired iMac it flies. On the WIFI part though it's dreadful. The MacBook Air may run at 20 to 30 meg per sec and the iPad and iPhone much worse.

I've talked to Apple extensively only to find myself with a third base station in a small condo of 1100 sq ft. I'm finding this very frustrating as they've had me test this thing this way to Friday and it's driving me crazy.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Fusion, 16 gig, i7

Posted on Sep 27, 2013 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 1:25 AM

Kerry,

Welcome...

You don't say how you have extended the network - Wired (Ethernet or powerline) which is good or Wireless (WDS etc) which is not so good,,,,

But I have up to 6 APs acive at any one time with up to 20 devices hanging off the network (iPhones, iPads, TVs PVRs, laptops, speakers, SAN, Wii & Printer )

I get 70Mbps fron my wired connection and up to 32 Mbps from the WiFi so sounds about right to me....

Even with multiple devices active the only time I get much of a performance hit is when two laptops or more are backing up to the SAN otherwise it's usually pretty cool.

Basically avoid multiple WiFi hops if you can (I can't).

Regards,

Shawn

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2013 1:25 AM in response to Kerry Dawson

Kerry,

Welcome...

You don't say how you have extended the network - Wired (Ethernet or powerline) which is good or Wireless (WDS etc) which is not so good,,,,

But I have up to 6 APs acive at any one time with up to 20 devices hanging off the network (iPhones, iPads, TVs PVRs, laptops, speakers, SAN, Wii & Printer )

I get 70Mbps fron my wired connection and up to 32 Mbps from the WiFi so sounds about right to me....

Even with multiple devices active the only time I get much of a performance hit is when two laptops or more are backing up to the SAN otherwise it's usually pretty cool.

Basically avoid multiple WiFi hops if you can (I can't).

Regards,

Shawn

Sep 28, 2013 8:44 AM in response to Shawn Grinter 2

Hi Shawn,

Thanks. This i very useful information. It is extended WIFI with two Airport Base stations providing the extension one specifically designed for air tune. There are probably about 8 to 9 devices on the network.

My speeds on the iMac wired Ethernet can hit about 250 mbs download from my ISP. My WIFI though sounds like its in your range as extended the MacBook Air is doing about 22 to 35 mbs, the iPad is the most pathetic at about 5mbs down and relatively the same up and the iphone actually maybe a bit better at twice that performance. Would that make sense.

It's interesting what you say about mulitple hops. I only added in that third base station as Apple wanted me to try an alternate Airport Express to see if that was the issue and it wasn't. I was just too disinclined to return the third one so I added it to the network so both AE's are running in extended mode. When I had joined with only two base stations, oddly enough the MacBook Air would scream but the iPad and iPhone worked in reverse and crawled. So Apple told me they should be extended. I just added the third in as extended.

Anwyay Shawn, potentially I might be running as expected which is odd in that I have never heard this from Apple. It's just all this trouble shooting to accomplish nothing.

Finally, other than the iMac, which I do work at 80% of the time, I wonder if having such a high performance internet service makes sense. I'm curious what your thoughts are on that. The service I have is:

- Rogers Ultimate which does include a modem with WIFI

- 150 mbs down 10 mbs up

- unlimited bandwidth

Thanks Shawn

Kerry

Sep 28, 2013 12:19 PM in response to Kerry Dawson

The key to having sufficient bandwidth on an extended network is the placement of the base stations. Please understand that an extending base station can only repeat a Wi-Fi signal with the bandwidth at which it receives it. The signal may look stronger, but its bandwidth may not be up to par for what you want to use your network for ... especially HD video streaming.

Please check out the following AirPort User Tip for details. You may find that by just making small placement changes that they could have significant improvement in the overall bandwidth. You may even find that you only need a single extending base station to cover your 1100 sq ft condo ... or none at all!

What speed should I get on my N network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.