Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imessage never deletes messages and shows them to anyone who wants to see them

here's the problem that in my opinion can cost millions of $$ in court for Apple:

iMesage never deletes conversations. If you delete a converstion from the list, it is still cached on the device. Problem is present in iOS6 & iOS7.

Do the following:

1) spotlight settings should have messages selected for search results

2) open Messages.app and delete a conversation that had iMessages there

3) open spotlight and search for something that the dialog contained

*not everything will be found though, I guess it doesn't cache everything or delete the oldest / doesn't cache the newest nessages fast*

4) you will be surprised when your deleted conversation shows up

5) for an even more unpleasant surprise, turn off and log out from imessage. Your conversations will still be displayed in spotlight.

Best words to look up on your significant other's iDevice: dear, kiss, love etc.

6) To make things even more interesting, spotlight will neither display the sender of the message (i.e. if it is a message or reply from your contact), nor the date. Plus it picks phrases out of context in such a way, that they will look more than interesting.

P.S. iMessage ruined my relationship with a girlfriend. Should I mention how angry I am?

P.P.S. the only way to stop iMessage from hijacking deleted conversations and terrorising you is to do a clean restore of the device. Set it up as new. Cached messages are backed up - if you restore from backup, they will still be there.

Some images to clarify this:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iMesage-OTHER, iOS 7.0.2, problem present in all iOS versions

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 4:19 AM

There are no replies.

Imessage never deletes messages and shows them to anyone who wants to see them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.