Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my camera is not recognised

hello guys,

Lately the Facetime camera HD on my macbook air hasn't been working properly: at first it worked normally then after updating to 10.8.5 it stoped. Fistly, skype didnt recognize the camera but facetime and photobooth worked properly. after searching in the web i found that many other users experience the same issue. i followed the followed recomondations. However, i do not have a time machine.

Today, 2 days later, neither facetime neither photobooth recognize the camera. I called apple and we did all the recomendations such as swiching users, checking the other applications, shuting down etc. But still not working. The person from apple support centre ended suggesting me to buy an external camera or wait for the new updates since apple officially recognised the problem just 3 or 4 days ago.

But my question is whether or not the unstalling and reinstalling from the web the camera plag in on my computer afected facetime and photo booth. Since all other users report issues with the cam only for skype and other non apple applications.

what should i do?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5306216?start=0&tstart=0

From the original poster Sebastian from Skype forum:

1. You need Time Machine

2. Go to folder /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/

3. Copy AppleCamera.plugin to good place (usb memory stick is the best place).

4. Go to Time machine in date that skype work fine.

5. Change AppleCamera.plugin with file from Time Machine

6. Restart system, Now skype need to work with camera.

This solution is only for this time until Apple make update for this problem!!!

If you don't have time machine backup download the plugin from this link: AppleCamera.plugin.zip 956 KB

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 5:43 AM

8 replies

Sep 28, 2013 7:05 AM in response to Vilma_x

Vilma_x wrote: ... what should i do? ....

• For iMovie, Skype, etc., you should follow the instructions you posted after your questions.

• For FaceTime and other apps not specifically mentioned in http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5216, follow the troubleshooting suggestions in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090. Be sure to test more than one app in more than one user account.

(Over time, Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD." Regardless of the name of your Mac's built-in camera, the same info and troubleshooting applies.)

Vilma_x wrote: ... my question is whether or not the unstalling and reinstalling from the web the camera plag in on my computer afected facetime and photo booth. ...

• Unless you are an OS X expert, it is not generally a good idea to manually delete, move, rename, or add files outside your documents folder except on specific advice from a trusted authority.

 

Based on my understanding of your post, you may have already made some changes that could damage your system. If so, the easiest way to get back to a known-good operating system might be to use OS X Recovery to erase your disk and reinstall OS X.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Sep 28, 2013 8:29 AM in response to EZ Jim

Thanks for your response.

For imovie, skype etc i followed the instructions but it didn't work for me.

For facetime etc i followed the instructions on how to trouleshooting isight but didnt work.

However, I didnt try to reset SMC or PMU simply cause i dont know how.

<<Unless you are an OS X expert, it is not generally a good idea to manually delete, move, rename, or add files outside your documents folder except on specific advice from a trusted authority.>>

True but it too late since i already did it.

<<If so, the easiest way to get back to a known-good operating system might be to use OS X Recovery to erase your disk and reinstall OS X.>>

if i do th OS X recovery is like doing a format on PCs? Am i gonna lose all files etc? do i have to reinstall programs such as Word for Mac?

Thanks a lot 🙂

Sep 29, 2013 10:40 AM in response to Vilma_x

You're welcome, Vilma_x.

Vilma_x wrote:...if i do th OS X recovery is like doing a format on PCs? Am i gonna lose all files etc? do i have to reinstall programs such as Word for Mac?...

I haven't used a PC for more than 10 years, so I can't help you with that.

You can erase, format, or partition Mac disks by using the Disk Utility on your Mac or in OS X Recovery:

• Disk Utility 12.x: Erase a disk, CD, or DVD

• Disk Utility 12.x: Disk image formats

• Disk Utility 12.x: Partition a disk

You will loose all the data on your startup disk ONLY if you do a Secure Erase. However, a secure erase may be necessary. Secure Erase is the ONLY way I know to be certain you do not have any bad files left on your Mac when you try to reinstall your Mac OS. Backup your data files before you do the secure erase so you can copy them back to your Mac once you have a know-good startup disk working again.

You will also need to reinstall any third party apps that you must use (example: Word for Mac) from their original sources -- NOT from a backup copy of the hard disk that is giving you trouble.

For more specifics on how to secure erase and reinstall of Mac OS, your apps, and then your data files, see http://discussions.apple.com/thread/2249754?answerId=10695411022#10695411022

If FaceTime, Photo Booth, and other Apple apps not specifically mentioned in http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5216 still do not work after you have reset your SMC, you likely have damaged the system and need to do a complete erase and restore.

If all this seems too complicated for you, or if you spend the time to do it but your problem remains, contact the retailer who sold you the Mac or Apple MacBook Air Support for help.

Sep 29, 2013 10:57 AM in response to EZ Jim

Many thanks!

I solved the problem with facetime and photo booth after OS X recovery. however, skype and imovie are still not recognising the camera which i guess most of the users who update to 10.8.5 have the same issue.

i will just wait for the coming update from apple to solve this issue.

any way many thanks for your help!

have a nice week!

my camera is not recognised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.