Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring purchased items

I realize that this may be a really stupid question, but oh well.

When I sync/back-up my iPhone or iPad, aren't the items I purchased on those devices automatically transferred to iTunes?

I'm trying to update my iPad mini and I keep getting this message, "There are purchased items on the iPad “Al's Mini” that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating this iPad. Are you sure you want to continue?"

Not sure what to do?

😕

iPad mini Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.1

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 8:47 AM

iTunes downloads aren't included in a backup, but you should be able to copy them over to your computer's iTunes via File > Devices > Transfer Purchases.

7 replies

Apr 21, 2014 9:01 AM in response to bigalwood

@King_Penguin I had the same question, and you gave an answer that pointed me in the right direction, but when I did this, it began copying 400 apps (that I purchased on my iPad) from my iPad to my iMac. I believe these apps were already synced and didn't need to be copied again, but I see no other way to copy ONLY the missing music videos that I purchased on my iPad. Is there any way to ONLY transfer the iTunes downloads in response to that warning?

Feb 3, 2016 4:22 PM in response to King_Penguin

What boggles the mind is why on Earth wouldn't ANY new purchases be included in a Backup. Then hide the function under a menu command that is not discoverable through obvious procedures. What's super annoying is the caution COULD tell you where to find the function, but it's iTunes, so of course it doesn't. "Hey, thanks for the purchases you guys! You know that even though we could easily back it up for you RIGHT NOW, you need to do that in a completely separate process right? Good like finding out how. Because if you don't, I'm afraid our hand are tied, we'll just have to ask you to buy the same things all over again. Oh well!"

Funny thing for me is I don't buy iTunes downloads on the iPad, only the occasional app which SHOULD be retained as a purchase automatically in iTunes, but I STILL get the bloody message. I choose to ignore it as iTunes horrible software design has wasted more than enough of my life with it's sheer awfulness. (Currently finding alternatives for AirPlay and syncing devices so I can use iTunes as little as possible.)

Apple will do anything to make normal backups and syncing complicated, to manipulate people into using iCloud instead. I will NEVER store anything but the bare minimum necessary for mobile apps in iCloud. I would advise everyone here to do the same - they simply can not be trusted not to give customers the shaft in any way possible if it means an extra nickel in their pocket.

transferring purchased items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.