Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook, which says: Disk Utility 10.5.4, copyright 1999 - 2005.

My question is:

Does anyone out there know if any Leopard install disks bring a MacBook back to life after a teenager erased the hard drive? Or are these programs specifically made for each individual machine? I know the iMac disks won't work on a MacBook,, but does each set of disks have a code for the original hardware in the unit?

What I get is a flashing folder with a question mark in the center. I loaded the install disk1 from my iMac and was able to pull up the Disk Utilities. It then goes back to sleep. Not sure why this child thought it would work without the original disks on hand, but teenagers think differently than most.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.4), No installation discs - erased HD

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 9:14 AM

The disks which originally shipped with a Mac are specific to that model. Retail disks will work on any Mac which is older than that OS version and meets the system requirements for it.

(90138)

3 replies

Sep 28, 2013 9:37 AM in response to Niel

Thanks Niel,

I tried Tiger 10.4, but it won't take it. That's why I'm wondering if any Leopard 10.5.4 would work to bring this back to life. My other alternative is bite the bullet and take it into an Apple store. 😢

Maybe he did more damage than I think..

Is there any way to know exactly what disks would bring this MacBook back to life?

Sep 28, 2013 3:35 PM in response to TerraStu

If you are in the US call Apple Customer Support 1-800-767-2775, provide the Serial Number and specifications of the Mac, and for a reasonable fee, they will supply a replacement set of system discs (if available).

The discs will be for the original version of the OS that was pre-installed when the Mac was manufactured.

If you are in another country:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57

MacBook, which says: Disk Utility 10.5.4, copyright 1999 - 2005.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.