Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is no iCloud icon in my System Preferences! Just the old cloud from MobileMe, which doesn't give an option to buy more iCloud storage. Suggestions appreciated.

Even though I have iCloud, there is no iCloud icon in my System Preferences...just the old cloud logo from MobileMe, which doesn't give an option to buy more iCloud storage. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Every day iCloud sends another email telling me my time is almost up, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do until this microworld comes to an end!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 2:26 PM

Unfortunately you cannot pay to retain your storage on Snow Leopard. If you know someone with a compliant Mac, or and iOS5/6 device, or can go to an Apple Store and get a 'Genius' to help you, you would be able to extend the storage there. The instructions are here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5527

Scroll down to 'How do I purchase my current plan?' and expand the section applicable to your computer or device.

Otherwise you would have to upgrade at least to Lion, see below, but you have only two days to do any of this. Do you really need more than 5GB? - you can't have been using it much with Snow Leopard as only email can be used. If you do nothing your storage will revert to 5GB and as long as you have less than that you won't notice any difference.

The minimum requirement for iCloud is Lion 10.7.5 (Mountain Lion preferred): the iCloud Preference Pane does not appear on earlier systems - the MobileMe pane appears on Lion and earlier but is non non-functional - you cannot now open or access a MobileMe account.

To make use of iCloud you will have to upgrade your Mac to Lion or Mountain Lion, provided it meets the requirements.

The requirements for Lion are:

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space

To purchase it you will have to ring Apple at the number given at the bottom left of this page.

The requirements for Mountain Lion are:

• OS X v10.6.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 8GB of available space

and the supported models are:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

It is available from the Mac App Store (in Applications).

You should be aware that PPC programs (such as AppleWorks) will not run on Lion or above; and some other applications may not be compatible - there is a useful compatibility checklist at http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2013 2:26 PM in response to sculptor1123

Unfortunately you cannot pay to retain your storage on Snow Leopard. If you know someone with a compliant Mac, or and iOS5/6 device, or can go to an Apple Store and get a 'Genius' to help you, you would be able to extend the storage there. The instructions are here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5527

Scroll down to 'How do I purchase my current plan?' and expand the section applicable to your computer or device.

Otherwise you would have to upgrade at least to Lion, see below, but you have only two days to do any of this. Do you really need more than 5GB? - you can't have been using it much with Snow Leopard as only email can be used. If you do nothing your storage will revert to 5GB and as long as you have less than that you won't notice any difference.

The minimum requirement for iCloud is Lion 10.7.5 (Mountain Lion preferred): the iCloud Preference Pane does not appear on earlier systems - the MobileMe pane appears on Lion and earlier but is non non-functional - you cannot now open or access a MobileMe account.

To make use of iCloud you will have to upgrade your Mac to Lion or Mountain Lion, provided it meets the requirements.

The requirements for Lion are:

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space

To purchase it you will have to ring Apple at the number given at the bottom left of this page.

The requirements for Mountain Lion are:

• OS X v10.6.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 8GB of available space

and the supported models are:

• iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

It is available from the Mac App Store (in Applications).

You should be aware that PPC programs (such as AppleWorks) will not run on Lion or above; and some other applications may not be compatible - there is a useful compatibility checklist at http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

Sep 28, 2013 5:05 PM in response to sculptor1123

Roger, thank you for your reply. They tell me I'm using over 9 GBs now, but I'm sure there are old emails I could dump. Frankly, instead being forced to spend more money updating programs and buying more storage, it may be best to just see what happens. I really preferred Mail to iCloud, and I'm sorry I ever was pressured into changing. I have a friend who never switched and he seems quite content. Thanks again!

Sep 28, 2013 11:41 PM in response to sculptor1123

What will probably happen is that your account will stop working and you will get another email.

I really preferred Mail to iCloud

Accessing your iCloud email in Mail or on the website is no different. Mail is an application and not a service: to avoid iCloud you would need a different service (which you presumably have from your internet connection provider).

There is no iCloud icon in my System Preferences! Just the old cloud from MobileMe, which doesn't give an option to buy more iCloud storage. Suggestions appreciated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.