Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Magic mouse only tracks on glossy surfaces. It has stopped working on any other surface, even mouse pads! Please help!

My wireless magic mouse is over 2 years old and had been working just great. It was only last week that it suddenly stopped tracking on my mouse pad that I usually work on. The batteries inserted were on low power so I replaced them with brand new ones but the problem remained the same.

Upon further research, I found the mouse to track on the metallic surface of my Macbook Pro. I found out that it only works on shiny/glossy surfaces. I am using a gloss paper over my mouse pad and it seems to track normally. Other features such as clicks, scroll work perfectly.

I took it to the Apple service center and even they said that they had never seen such a weird case with the mouse. They connected it to their computer and the problem lasted. I have already cleaned the sensor area and battery connector points several times, changed batteries but the problem remains. It simply won't track on a non shiny surface.

Please help. I cannot do without my mouse! Is there a way to hard reset the magic mouse?

Apple Wireless Magic Mouse-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2016 10:14 AM

Same problem. Mouse has worked fine for several years and started acting up. Did all the recommended fixes, by accident tested it on another machine with similar results to verify it wasn't a software issue. Put in on my dark wood desktop and it worked perfectly, tried it on both a glossy black binder cover and a glossy white binder cover with a color printed page underneath the plastic slip cover of the white one, same perfect results. Makes no sense given it use to work on any surface.

I would really like to know why this problem raises its ugly head after several years of excellent service. Especially since there are no moving parts in this thing. You would think it would last forever....but then Apple couldn't sell us new stuff and pad their pockets....

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2016 10:14 AM in response to sreyanghosh

Same problem. Mouse has worked fine for several years and started acting up. Did all the recommended fixes, by accident tested it on another machine with similar results to verify it wasn't a software issue. Put in on my dark wood desktop and it worked perfectly, tried it on both a glossy black binder cover and a glossy white binder cover with a color printed page underneath the plastic slip cover of the white one, same perfect results. Makes no sense given it use to work on any surface.

I would really like to know why this problem raises its ugly head after several years of excellent service. Especially since there are no moving parts in this thing. You would think it would last forever....but then Apple couldn't sell us new stuff and pad their pockets....

Nov 26, 2013 7:53 AM in response to sreyanghosh

Maybe there is grease or dust on the transmitter or optical sensor and the beam is getting attenuated. The glossy background might be helping get more light into the sensor. Try cleaning it with paper towel or maybe a gentle cleanser.

I have the same problem and it only works on glossy. It happened at the time of the upgrade to Mavericks, so I figured it was software this whole time. I am going to try it now myself.

Nov 27, 2013 7:16 PM in response to Michael Fort

Duh, you already mentioned cleaning the sensor area, sorry.

The glossy black Ikea desk pad is now missing tracking often.

I've resorted to using glossy junk mail catalogs and that seems

to work like new again.

I wonder if the issue is the age of the sensor in the mouse.

Maybe the plastic decayed or fogged up somehow.

Maybe a plastic crumb got in the internals of the mouse.

I noticed the green light goes off when it can "see".

Only goes off on those catalogs, nothing else works.

I can't see plunking down good money to replace this thing.

Feb 14, 2015 10:05 AM in response to sreyanghosh

I had this happen as well. after I replaced the batteries it went to acting strangely. Same thing on glossy surfaces only.

This happened once before, and I thought it was broken, and just like pepi70 I think I remember an accidental drop fixed it before, wondering if I should drop it again, I have already tried banging it lightly with my hand to no avail.

Maybe more people have had this problem but didn't think to try it on glossy surfaces. Very strange it only works on glossy...

Anyone find a good solution?

My Magic mouse only tracks on glossy surfaces. It has stopped working on any other surface, even mouse pads! Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.