Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't swap USB 3 drive between Macs...

I have a 2T WD My passport drive (USB3) that I use between my new 13" retina and my imac (2013 model) For some reason when I change machines, the drive is not recognized. So, if I eject from my imac and attach to my retina, not only do I have to restart, I have to hold the power button for 10 seconds. Every time. When I go back to the iMac it is also not recognized. The entire reason for the drive is to share Aperture libraries between machines when needs, but this is ridiculous.

Any suggestions?

thanks

NJ

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 6:22 PM

4 replies

Sep 29, 2013 9:47 AM in response to njwight

Sounds to me like the drive has some bad sectors or a bad table. Try to restart the computers without the drive plugged in. Then plug in the drive and see if it mounts. If it does, go into Disk Utility, find the drive, and run some first aid. First fix the permissions and then check the drive for errors. Basically try to get the drive to mount and run those tests.

At this point I would also make sure that you have a backup. If you DO have a backup, then i would go into Disk Utility and format the drive in "Mac OS extended (journaled) and copy over your library to it again.

Let me know if any of that helps!

Sep 29, 2013 10:15 AM in response to MyOnlineTechGuy

Hi-thanks. Am well passed this. It won't mount in either the iMac or retina-every which way.

It will launch in a usb2 machine or a usb 2 hub. Verified the docs it is fine. I am reading all kinds of issues with Retina and usb3... May have something to do with the fact I set things up with a time machine by from an older MacBook Pro. Apparently there are some terminal commands to try but need to do more research...

Thanks

Nj

Sep 29, 2013 3:48 PM in response to njwight

Tried to type that on my iphone... Verfieied and the disc is fine. It is really maddening. Tonight after trying to get the imac to start with drive plugged in the back, no luck. In fact, nothing plugged into my hub would work until i unplugged the drive in teh back. Tried two ports. No issue if I plug it into the hub though...just reverts to usb 2.I need to buy another drive and now I am not so sure about USB 3...

Can't swap USB 3 drive between Macs...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.