Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repair Disk without CD (Snow Leopard)?

Hi everyone!

My good ol' macbook has been running a bit slow lately so I went to Disk Utility and selected to verify the disk. I was then informed that it was corrupt and I need to repair the disk, but I need my OSX installation to do it since I've been traveling and no longer have access.

So, I have several questions:

1. Is there a way to repair the disk without the CD or do I just need to go buy another one?

2. How do I actually go about repairing the disk when I get the CD (if I absolutely need one)?

3. Do I need to be sure that I have everything backed up on my external harddrive before I do this? I have time machine going frequently already, but I just want to be sure if the time machine back up is enough or if I have to do a manual copy & paste backup.

Also, I'm running OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). My macbook is a 2007 model (still kicking! Just when I think of getting another one she proves me wrong) and I don't think I can go up to Lion... or at least not Mountain Lion for sure.

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 7:33 PM

1. Yes, there is. Restart the computer with the Shift key held down to quietly run a disk repair utility.

2. Restart from the CD and open the Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

3. Create a bootable clone on a second external drive. The Time Machine backup won't itself help if the internal drive gets erased and there isn't a second bootable system available.

(90178)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2013 7:33 PM in response to jen8705

1. Yes, there is. Restart the computer with the Shift key held down to quietly run a disk repair utility.

2. Restart from the CD and open the Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

3. Create a bootable clone on a second external drive. The Time Machine backup won't itself help if the internal drive gets erased and there isn't a second bootable system available.

(90178)

Repair Disk without CD (Snow Leopard)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.