Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2013 imac running OSX Mountain Lion won't recognize Samsung external DVD-RW model SE-208DB/TSWS

Recently purchased Samsung slim portable DVD Writer, model SE-208DB/TSWS and have tried to install on my iMAC (2013 purchase) running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Using one of 4 USB ports for this single USB cable DVD-RW drive. The iMAC does not recognize this drive. The drive box states MAC compatible with OS X 10.4.6 or higher. I tested the drive on a PC and it recognized it on the first try. Any help would be appreciated.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 6:32 PM

55 replies

Sep 30, 2013 6:59 PM in response to sabowitt

Dropped by my local Apple Store for some help to solve the problem of 2013 iMAC not mounting a Samsung external DVD Writer, model SE-208DB/TSWS. Techs were able to mount the external DVD drive using a MACbook Pro running Lion. They also were able to get a newer MACbook Pro with the latest OS X (10.8.5) and internal DVD drive to mount the Samsung external DVD drive. I came across a post that said to replace the Mountain Lion dvdplayback.framework file with the same file name on Lion. Unfortunately I did not bookmark and now can't locate the blog. I tried to get to the Genius Bar but the scheduler said they don't have the expertise to solve the issue. Told me I would need to work the problem through Samsung. The Samsung DVD Writer is model SE-208DB/TSWS states on the box it works with MAC SW 10.4.6 or later and no drivers are required for the MAC. Seems odd that the Samsung DVD Writer can run on Lion and OSX on a MACbook Pro but not Mountain Lion. I would be interested if anyone has a work around for this issue.

Oct 1, 2013 6:48 AM in response to Tommy197944

Tommy197944 - i have tried all 4 USB ports as well as different USB cables. I took the drive to the Apple Store where they tried it on several different systems. iMAC running OS X 10.8.5; MACbook Pro running OS X Lion and a MACbook Pro running OS X 10.8.5. Both MACbook Pros mounted the drive but the iMAC failed to mount the drive. I remember a blog response saying swapping the OS X Mountain Lion's DVDPlayback.Framework file for OS X Lion's DVDPlayback.Framework might solve the issue.

It is perplexing that the exact same Samsung DVD Writer, model SE-208DC/TSWS mounts on MACbook Pro running the latest version of Mountain Lion (10.8.5). That MACbook Pro also had an internal DVD Writer. The Samsung DVD Writer was also tested on a MACbook Pro running Lion and it also mounted correctly. So what did Apple change in OS X Mountain Lion that would prevent the iMAC from mounting the external Samsung DVD Writer. The Samsung DVD Writer has no drivers for the MAC. It depends on the OS X files. I am trying to keep a positive attitude and hoping Apple did not change OS X Mountain Lion to prevent 3rd party external DVD Writers from mounting correctly with the new IMACs that no longer can be configured with an internal DVD Writer.

Most grateful for some proven solutions.

Oct 2, 2013 8:31 AM in response to sabowitt

You were able to insert and remove disks to/from the Samsung so the connection to the computer via USB is working at least to some extent. When you open Disk Utility, does it show the Samsung (as TSST Corp etc)? Do you have any storage devices (eg external backup drive or even a flash drive) connected vis USB and do they show up in Disk Utility?

Nov 16, 2013 8:09 AM in response to sabowitt

I have 2 iMac 2013 models (1 is 1 month old, latest version) and neither recognizes a similar external USB bus powered DVD/Blu-ray player burner) - obviously confirmed by inserting a CD. Never shows up in the drive list. There is power to the drive, the lights come on when I boot. I can eject the disk via the button on the drive, but it never shows up on the Mac. My 2011 MacAir recognizes the drive and uses it fine. Makes no sense to me. My Apple Superdrive and another USB external DVD/CD-ROM work fine in the iMacs. Really would like to solve this problem.

I did the PRAM reset and it made no difference.

Nov 16, 2013 9:11 AM in response to Eric Root

Yep - those setings are all checked on my system. Once again, my Apple Super Drive and another USB CD/DVD show up and work fine. My new Bluray DVD/CD drive won't register on my iMac even though it has power and the lights turn on.

The odd thing is that some people report these drives show up and work fine on new iMacs, and many of us can't get it to work. Works perfectly on a MacAir and MacBook Pro.

Frustrated.

2013 imac running OSX Mountain Lion won't recognize Samsung external DVD-RW model SE-208DB/TSWS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.