Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari on iOS7 scroll back to top?

Hi Everyone,

Any help would be much appreciated. Usually when you are reading a webpage in safari on the iphone, and leave that page in the middle of reading to go use a different app or function on the phone (meaning you go back to your home screen), and then you come back to what you were reading a little while later (i'm thinking there is a time limit on this), the webpage may need to reload. Before it iOS update, safari would hold your place and you could continue reading where you left off, wherever that might be. Now with the new iOS7, when you return to reading, if safari does need to reload the page, it reloads back to the top of the page.

I guess I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this? This can be extremely annoying when I constantly lose my place. New crap feature of iOS7, my personal preference for a webpage to stay in place, or something that can be changed in the Settings I haven't found yet?

Many many thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have!

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 7:15 PM

8 replies

Oct 22, 2013 12:47 PM in response to MerIzz

I have this same issue. It also happens when you try to go back a page. There have been times when I'm browsing a rather large, long site that loads more stuff as you reach the bottom. In the old ios if you accidentally clicked on something you could just click the back button and it would go back to where you were. Now when you try to go back a page even after only a second, it reloads the entire page (and thus going back to the top and undoing all the stuff you loaded). It also does this for me if you switch between tabs in safari. Switching to another tab for even a few seconds will reload the old tab once you go back to it. Very annoying!

Nov 12, 2013 6:00 PM in response to MerIzz

try turning off background app refresh settings > general > background app refresh.

what this does is resets your apps in the back ground when your not using them so your up to date on each apps usage,

i dont mean updates.

like if you use face book and are on the notification part of facebook, it will refresh it automaticly even thou you dont have it open

Nov 12, 2013 6:24 PM in response to nyenye2020

It's only in safari that I'm having this issue"

For an example,

I'm on cult of Mac, I scroll down about 5 articles. I click the link and read it. I then hit the back button. In ios 6 it would take me to the previous page, somewhere in the middle of the page where I left off before I clicked the link. Noe, in ios 7, when I hit back, it bumps me to the top of the page. It's very frustration....I find my self scrolling and scrolling and scrolling.

Dec 1, 2013 12:02 AM in response to MerIzz

This is so ^^{%^~€<,! UNBELIEVABLE. I guess Apple developers don't actually use iOS for things like multi-tab browsing.

Every time you select a tab, it reloads. Why?? This is not what we want. If I jump back and forth between pages, I lose time waiting for each page to reload. Terrible, just terrible.

And furthermore, you LOSE YOUR PLACE!!

Maybe there's a developer from Samsung actually posing as an Apple Dev.

Safari on iOS7 scroll back to top?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.