Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I transfer photos between users on same macbook?

Can I transfer photos between users on same macbook? I've exported them out of iPhoto into a folder on desktop. Would like to move them into other User account on same laptop.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 8:46 PM

Sure. Open a Finder window and select your Home folder from the Sidebar, or select Home from the Finder's Go menu.

Drag the exported photos to the Public folder.

Other users will be able to subsequently import them to their iPhoto Libraries. You can then delete them from Public.

3 replies

Sep 28, 2013 10:07 PM in response to Sara.J.133

I did figure this out eventually and am going to record it here so later, when i ultimately forget the twists and turns I took to make this happen, I'll be able to come back and see....For me it was not as simple as John (above) offered...First: Export photos from iPhoto into folder on desktop. Click on the folder and select from the top left corner File - Check info- click the box beside shared folder- scroll down to Sharing & Permission and make sure the other user acccount is added to who can read & write.

If you haven't done this already go into System Preferences- Sharing- check the box beside File Sharing- click on File Sharing as well and 2 windows will appear- Shared Folders and Users. Select the shared folder you want to use and in the User window add the other user account to who can read & write.

Next: Open Finder- select Public Folder- drag photo folder into it.

Now log off and open your other User profile. Open Finder. Select Macintosh HD in the side bar- select Users Folder- select the original User profile you want your photos from- select Public Folder- your photo folder should be there, drag it onto your Desktop or directly into iPhoto. If a block occurs saying you aren't alllowed to see this folder then you missed a step in the whole file sharing business.

Viola! it worked. Hope this helps someone else 😁

Can I transfer photos between users on same macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.