Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you delete a contact if there is no "Delete" button in iOS 7?

I just picked up my new 5s and I'm going through my contacts and want to delete a few, but many of them do not show a "Delete Contact" button. How do I delete these contacts?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 9:39 PM

I would do that if there were a "Delete Contact" button to tap, but for some contacts it doesn't show up.

16 replies

Jun 18, 2017 11:52 PM in response to AndrewGS

Go to Settings and make sure you do not have any apps such as facebook allowed to use contacts, If so just turn it off but you will still need to manually delete any contacts that have been loaded in. If you do not dissallow the app to use contacts then everytime you try to delete the contact, it will just reappear!

Oct 4, 2013 1:49 AM in response to AndrewGS

I had the same problem. If it was a contact that you have added than yes Pond Moms advice would have worked. What i found is that if you click on the group icon in the top left. There it will show your read only contacts, imported by things like Facebook and such. If you untap it and go back, those contacts will be removed until re tapped. worked for me

Jul 6, 2015 11:16 AM in response to AndrewGS

For everyone telling us to use the big red delete button, thanks, but we would have done that. For the rest of the perplexed... I have figured out the problem and the solution. I had a contact I couldn't delete and, nice guy, but we have the same first name and I have lived in dread of accidentally forwarded the wrong sites to him rather than to my own attention. Until now, I could only console myself with the thought he wouldn't be the worst person to learn rather more about me than he most likely would have cared to.

Here is the problem: He was added as a Facebook contact, a fact helpfully made clear by the itty bitty Facebook icon next to the email address I could not edit or delete in his contact information. Yes, going to the Groups option, as someone pointed out earlier in the thread, and unchecking Facebook will remove these addresses from your Contacts... but only *** viewing *** them in your contacts. Unchecking the box won't remove the contact itself.

The answer?

Go to Settings

Go to Facebook

ALLOW THESE APPS TO USE YOUR ACCOUNT

Contacts

Contacts! Unselect this and, at long last, it's done. I can forward whatever I like to myself without dread. As soon as I hit 'reply', I'm going to make sure my iPad has got the message too.

How do you delete a contact if there is no "Delete" button in iOS 7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.