Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I imported a bunch of photos from my phone to iPhoto but now they're gone

I just completed a huge import of hundreds of photos and a bunch of videos (maybe 10 GB). It took forever. At the end it said "your photos have been imported successfully" and "Do you want to delete from your iPhone". I stupidly said yes and deleted them. They're gone now but they're also not in iPhoto.

Can anyone explain where iPhoto stores its data so I can go search for it manually? I can't believe they're all gone. There were a lot of things copied.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 2:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 3:26 AM

I stupidly said yes and deleted them. They're gone now but they're also not in iPhoto.

Where did you look in iPhoto? Sometimes the events are sorted incorrectly and you cannot find the newly added events. Try if sorting the events by date will bring your new events to the top of the list:

User uploaded file

If that does not bring your new events back, rebuild your iPhoto Library as described by Old Toad:

Rebuild iPhoto Library for iPhoto Version '11

After rebuilding, your iPhoto library may contain an event named "Recovered Photos" or similar. That is iPhoto's "Lost and Found" for missing photos. Look there for any photos that still might be missing.

To look into your iPhoto Library select one of the most recently imported photos that you can see and uns the command "File > Reveal in Finder". Only look, don't move or modify the photos you are seeing in iPhoto's Masters flder.

How to Access Files in iPhoto

Regards

Léonie

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2013 3:26 AM in response to brsm1990

I stupidly said yes and deleted them. They're gone now but they're also not in iPhoto.

Where did you look in iPhoto? Sometimes the events are sorted incorrectly and you cannot find the newly added events. Try if sorting the events by date will bring your new events to the top of the list:

User uploaded file

If that does not bring your new events back, rebuild your iPhoto Library as described by Old Toad:

Rebuild iPhoto Library for iPhoto Version '11

After rebuilding, your iPhoto library may contain an event named "Recovered Photos" or similar. That is iPhoto's "Lost and Found" for missing photos. Look there for any photos that still might be missing.

To look into your iPhoto Library select one of the most recently imported photos that you can see and uns the command "File > Reveal in Finder". Only look, don't move or modify the photos you are seeing in iPhoto's Masters flder.

How to Access Files in iPhoto

Regards

Léonie

Sep 29, 2013 1:01 PM in response to léonie

I found my photos. They're in /Users/user/Pictures/iPhoto/Librayr.photolibrary/Previews

Don't ask me why they're in "Previews" sinc ethese are the full rez files...

I guess now my quesiton is how to wipe everything clean and start from scratch because obviously my iPhoto is FUBAR'd

Apple has made a lot of mistakes but iPhoto is the worst. Why can't I just cut and paste my photos from my iPhone as if it's a flash drive like you can on Windows?

Sep 29, 2013 1:10 PM in response to brsm1990

It just says "To get started with iPhoto..."

That is an indication that iPhoto has created a new iPhoto library and is not using the one you imported your photos into.

Is there a way to find the library folder and browse it even if I can not even successfully import a single photo because that's where I'm at.

To search for all iPhoto libraries on your system, use a tool like the Easyfind or the free FindAnyFile

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

Then search for all files named "Library6.iPhoto". Every iPhoto Library contains such a file. If you find them, you will be right inside the iPhoto Library package.

The enclosing folder is the iPhoto Library package and should be called something like "iPhoto Library.photolibrary".

Sep 29, 2013 1:19 PM in response to brsm1990

I found my photos. They're in /Users/user/Pictures/iPhoto/Librayr.photolibrary/Previews

Then there should also be a folder "/Users/user/Pictures/iPhoto/Librayr.photolibrary/Masters"

or "Originals", if you are having an older iPhoto version.

Is this folder missing? That folder should contain the original Master image files. The preview folder contains only scaled down previews to be shared with other applications.

If the "Masters" folder is missing or empty, you may have imported the photos as referenced - is the flag in the "Preferences >Advanced" panel "Importing > Copy items to the iPhoto Library" disabled? Then will iPhoto not copy the photos into the iPhoto library, but leave them in there original folder where you are importing from.

Sep 29, 2013 1:19 PM in response to léonie

I need a special tool just to access my own photos?

This is awful.

The whole iPhoto library directory is only 556 MB so I guess the videos are lost for good.

Is there a way to start iPhoto from scratch so at least I can start over and have it not destory all my data next time?

Is there way to import my photos and videos without using iPhoto? This program is horrendous!

Sep 29, 2013 1:33 PM in response to léonie

The "Masters" folder is completely empty. The "preview" folder seemed to be full size images 2-3 MB. "Copy items to the iPhoto Library" is checked.

The whole "iPhoto Library" "Package" is 536 MB which might be enough to cover the photos but not the videos. There was 10 GB total of data. Can the videos be hiding else where or am I just screwed?

How do I erase everything and start iPhoto off from scratch?

Sep 29, 2013 1:51 PM in response to brsm1990

I need a special tool just to access my own photos?

I suggested "Find any File" because it is easier to use than the Finder's search - the results there will depend, on what you have included in your Spotlight index.

To search using the Finder, open a Finder window; press the key combination ⌘F, and then set the search window to search "This Mac" and "Kind is 'Photo Library'"

User uploaded file

Only, if the library should have become corrupted, this may not work. And the search will not look inside the packages.

The whole iPhoto library directory is only 556 MB so I guess the videos are lost for good.

How is the "Importing > Copy items to the iPhoto Library" flag set? See my last post.

If you imported with "store files" in there original location, the photos and videos will have remained on the card, until the crad has been erased.

Is there a way to start iPhoto from scratch so at least I can start over and have it not destory all my data next time?

You can create a new iphoto library, by using the command "File > Switch to Library > Create New".

Is there way to import my photos and videos without using iPhoto?

You can use the utility "Image Capture", that comes with every Mac to import your photos to folders on your Mac.

This program is horrendous!

I never had problems with it and like it, but I understand ....

Sep 29, 2013 2:02 PM in response to brsm1990

The "Masters" folder is completely empty. The "preview" folder seemed to be full size images 2-3 MB. "Copy items to the iPhoto Library" is checked.

Then iPhoto should have copied the photos to the Masters folder and some problem must have prevented it. Is your folder /Users/user/Pictures/iPhoto/ on your internal system drive or a link to an external drive, that could have become offline?

When iPhoto - or other applications - cannot write their data to a volume that has gone offline, they may write to /tmp or $TMPDIR

You can browse these directories by opening a Terminal and entering

open /tmp

and

open $TMPDIR

Perhaps iPhoto wrote them to these caches. Look, before you you reboot the system. That might clear these directories.

I imported a bunch of photos from my phone to iPhoto but now they're gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.