Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI is the standard for output to HD TV's and monitors. I have continuous problems outputting to my HDTV using the mini-port adaptor and those frustrating dongles. Why won't Apple put an HDMI port (or two) on their MacBooks?

My external monitor was working as advertised in clamshell mode. It just suddenly started working only intermittently and not at all in clamshell mode. I'm starting to believe that yet another miniport dongle has gone bad. I'm ready to go back to Windows because my Dell running Windows 7 works flawlessly. I'll buy a new MacBook Pro as soon as Apple puts a true HDMI interface (or two) on the MacBook; until then I'm thinking seriously about a new Windows laptop for watching TV and working on photographs.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Connecting to a Samsung HDTV

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 4:53 AM

3 replies

Sep 29, 2013 5:00 AM in response to bquimby1

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

The MacBook Pro with Retina display has got HDMI. The problem with HDMI is that there's no space in the MacBook Pro without Retina display to put HDMI, and to put it in the MacBook Pro with Retina display, Apple had to remove FireWire, which is also used a lot in Mac OS X, and you would need a different adapter. Anyway, you can send it to Apple > http://www.apple.com/feedback

HDMI is the standard for output to HD TV's and monitors. I have continuous problems outputting to my HDTV using the mini-port adaptor and those frustrating dongles. Why won't Apple put an HDMI port (or two) on their MacBooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.