Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer pictures from iPhoto to an iPhone 5 without using iTunes?

Hey there. I have version 10.5.8 on my macbook, but an iPhone 5, which basically means I can't open my iPhone in iTunes. However I would like to transfer some photos from iPhoto onto my phone. Does anyone know how this is possible? Thanks so much!

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 6:20 AM

10 replies

Sep 29, 2013 6:53 AM in response to Camilla239

Do you have iPhoto on your Mac? iPhoto 8.1.2 should be compatible with your iPhone.

Connect your iPhone to an USB port of your Mac and launch iPhoto or the Image Capture utility. Both should be able to see your iPhone as a camera and to import the photos from the iPhone to an iPhoto event or download them to a folder on your Desktop.

Since it are only a few photos you could also mail them directly from the Photos.app using the "Share" button.

Regards

Léonie

Sep 29, 2013 12:47 PM in response to Camilla239

Camilla,

sorry, I misunderstood your question.

the only option i see, is to send the photos to your iPhone by mail or by SMS. If you set up Mail as Mail client in iPhoto on your mac, you can mail the photos directly from iPhoto. Only it will take many messages, so that the indivudual mail will not be to large. A bit clumsy, I know, but the new IOS relies entirely on Photo Stream and iTunes to sync photos.

See the iPhoto for IOS Help: Get photos and video clips into iPhoto

Léonie

Nov 28, 2013 9:51 AM in response to Camilla239

Here's a much simpler way:

Install DROPBOX onto your computer and your iphone. Once you're signed in to your account on both computer and iphone, go into iPhoto, select all of the photos you want to put onto your iphone and drag them into DROPBOX folder on your computer.

Once they're all copied into your computer's dropbox folder, go to dropbox app on iphone, and you can click to upload all of the photos there.

May 4, 2014 3:15 AM in response to Camilla239

Woah, time travel!

When you plug in your iPod, then open iPhoto, your iPod should appear under the Devices section. If the view does not change to show the photos on your iPod, click on your iPod's name. The "import" options appear near the bottom of the window

Sometimes, Snow Leopard's iPhoto doesn't detect a device so you may have to quit and reopen the app a few times until your iPod appears under the Devices section.

You can also use programs such as iExplorer to view an download anything from iOS devices.

Jan 6, 2015 12:01 PM in response to Xeronia88

That will work, if your Mac is supported, not all Macs with Yosemite will support Air Drop to the iPhone:

AirDrop between OS X and iOS is supported by the following Mac models: (From the Mac Help)

• MacBook Air (2012 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (2012 or later)
  • iMac (2012 or later)
  • Mac mini (2012 or later)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)

AirDrop to iOS devices requires iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 7 and the Lightning connector.AirDrop between two Mac computers is supported by the following Mac models:

• MacBook Pro (late 2008 or later)*
  • MacBook Air (late 2010 or later)
  • MacBook (late 2008 or later)*
  • iMac (early 2009 or later)
  • Mac mini (mid 2010 or later)
  • Mac Pro (early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or mid 2010 or later)

* The MacBook Pro (17-inch, late 2008) and the white MacBook (late 2008) do not support AirDrop.

How do I transfer pictures from iPhoto to an iPhone 5 without using iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.