Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone cannot be synced. An internal device error occurred

I've had this problem before and was fixed, but not sure when and how. This window appeared this morning as I always connect my phone to my iMac. I manually tried to sync but this window appeared again. The iPhone "x" cannot be synced. An internal device error occurred.

iPhone 5s, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), downloaded iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2013 7:07 AM

I had this problem this morning, too. I checked out the discussions and they recommended changing the USB port, but that didn't work. I tried rebooting the phone but that didn't work. I rebooted the computer (I had to force quit iTunes because it was hung up) and everything synced just fine.

11 replies

Jan 8, 2014 4:19 AM in response to Marryin' Man

Just wanted to add to the conversation what worked for me. I was too lazy to do a reboot unless necessary, but since Marryin' Man mentioned he had to force quit iTunes to reboot I thought that might be the problem. So I tried just restarting iTunes. Sure enough, I had to force quit to get it to close completely. I started it right back up, and now I can sync. Yay!! Now if only I could remember this next time it happens, because I know this is not the first time I've googled this issue!

May 25, 2015 7:52 AM in response to angieprivitt

I was also having this issue. After reading the above posts I realized that iTunes is being opened when I plug my phone in with the USB cable. I closed iTunes and opened it with the desktop shortcut. WHALAA!! It opened, connected my phone and synced all on it's own. I believe the issue, for me at least, is how iTunes is openeing when the phone is connected.

Aug 23, 2015 9:48 PM in response to ffemtdd

Thank you! That worked, simply & fast. Now, has anyone found that when using Microsoft Word, or even when it is just open, and you swipe to the dashboard, say to look up something in the dictionary, the dashboard swings/swipes back, so that you have to swipe again, and hope it stays in place? Sometimes, it waits until I put the cursor on the dictionary and then it swipes in reverse; it functions after a few swipe battles. This has been occurring on any of the MacBooks I have been using since around 2008––I am not in favor of using alternative methods to avoid what should be working properly.

iphone cannot be synced. An internal device error occurred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.