Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 7 broke integration with car

After upgrading to IOS 7 I can no longer use my Iphone 5 via USB cable to my car. It starts charging then flashes a message about "trusting this computer" but the message goes away almost instantly and wont let me hit "trust". Then it stops charging, starts charging and the process repeats itself indefinately.

And before anyone asks, yes its a genuine apple cable. It was working fine under IOS 6.

This is a deal breaker for me as I connect my phone to my car everyday to listen to audiobooks while i drive. I need to be able to turn this security feature off.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.1

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 7:54 AM

7 replies

Oct 1, 2013 3:47 PM in response to brenden dv

Why would an auto manufacturer have to supply updated firmware in order for the iOS7 to work as the iOS6 did?

It's Apple's responsibility to continue to support devices such as vehicles that aren't easily updated with firmware.

I have a 2008 Cadillac CTS that worked perfectly with my iPhone 4S using iOS6 through its USB port. After the iOS7 installation, my car cannot recognize the iphone as a supported device and doesn't connect.

I want Apple to straighten this out immediately!

-Rod

Oct 16, 2013 9:39 AM in response to brenden dv

Hi Brenden, your reply is not helpful at all. I have an iPhone 4s that worked perfectly with iO6 in my 2011 Subaru via USB connection, but now will not allow any control from the head unit / steering wheel controls since the "upgrade" to iOS7. Nothing else has changed except for the iOS7 install and yes I am using a proper cable too.

This is a huge safety issue, as I now have to look at my phone to even skip a song or to start playing when connecting the device (which used to happen automatically). There is a law in my province (BC, Canada) probiting use of handheld devices when driving - what is Apple going to do about this issue?!?!?

- Brad

Nov 7, 2013 11:15 PM in response to EastyInc

Same thing for me with a Kenwood stereo. Worked fine with iOS 6, now after iOS 7 it magicallly breaks.

I fail to see how it's the stereo manufactur's fault, I updated the firmware on my iPhone, NOT my stereo!

Luckily I can still control the iPhone through the controls on the stereo, but to get audio I have to use the AUX in on my Stereo and plug it into the headphone jack on my iPhone. So instead of the convenience of one cable, I now get to juggle two. And audio doesn't always play out the headphone jack correctly - sometimes I have to unplug and plug back in the headphone/aux in cord to get audio back. It's very frustrating and annoying!

Whatever changed in the way iOS7 interacts with licensed accessories, it needs to be changed back!

Mar 31, 2014 7:41 PM in response to brenden dv

Same issue here with a standard stereo in an Hyundai Elantra. Apple needs to give users an option to turn off this "trust this computer" junk.

Every car company is not going to update the firmware because Apple is trying to make more $$$ (which if you follow all the links is what this check comes down to).

I have checked multiple boards and googled the issue. The only vialbe suggestion seems to be the lightning to 30 pin adapter, which again is another way to AAPL to increase $$$ -pretty slimy.

I agree with the other posters..this issue is one created by apple and one which apple should fix..not try to pass on to every other company.

IOS 7 broke integration with car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.