Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Radio stops in middle of song, gets stuck

I'm on my iPhone (running iOS 7) and running iTunes Radio in the music app. I am logged into an Apple ID that has iTunes Match. All is good -- music, no ads or breaks -- when all of a sudden a song stops in the middle. I try to restart it, but it tries to start, goes to the || pause icon, and then returns to the > play icon. If I >> skip the track, it picks up fine with the next song.

This is happening on a high-speed FiOS (75/35) link with great bars, right near an Apple Time Capsule running the latest router software.

It might happen once in 30 minutes or two hours; the time is not repeatable. And it doesn't happen a consistent number of minutes after I've last used the iPhone or gone to the music app.

It wouldn't bother me if I could just hit play again and have it pick up where it left off. It's having to skip the track that is bugging me.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 10:09 AM

I've been experiencing this same problem, both on my iPhone and my 2012 iMac and most recently with the AppleTV, since iTunes Radio was released. As you indicated, the timing is entirely random. Sometimes I'll get through 10-15 songs, and sometimes I'll be on the 2nd song when it will just stop in the middle of the track.

Internet is perfectly fine - especially at home (I can stream videos and music through Pandora and the like all day without problem). I usually have to reselect my station, then it will start on a new song. This happens, without fail, regardless of how many or how few artists I have for a station. (Side note: I'm currently on my third station restart in an hour).

The only thing I can think of is too much demand on Apple's iTunes Radio servers or a bug in the service itself. I can only hope they will be able to isolate and fix the problem soon.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2013 10:09 AM in response to Linda Custer

I've been experiencing this same problem, both on my iPhone and my 2012 iMac and most recently with the AppleTV, since iTunes Radio was released. As you indicated, the timing is entirely random. Sometimes I'll get through 10-15 songs, and sometimes I'll be on the 2nd song when it will just stop in the middle of the track.

Internet is perfectly fine - especially at home (I can stream videos and music through Pandora and the like all day without problem). I usually have to reselect my station, then it will start on a new song. This happens, without fail, regardless of how many or how few artists I have for a station. (Side note: I'm currently on my third station restart in an hour).

The only thing I can think of is too much demand on Apple's iTunes Radio servers or a bug in the service itself. I can only hope they will be able to isolate and fix the problem soon.

Oct 10, 2013 1:24 PM in response to Linda Custer

I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but I may have found a solution - I'll give it more time and update this with the outcome.

The problem above was persisting and getting increasingly annoying, so I went digging around in settings and nothing obvious jumped out; however, under Settings > iTunes & App Store, I previously had "Use Cellular Data" turned off. Turning that on is the only change I made and iTunes Radio has yet to randomly stop on me again. Unless Apple coincidentally issued a behind-the-scenes fix around the same time, this seems to have resolved the issue when using iTunes Radio on my phone.

This doesn't answer why the random stops would happen on my iMac, though. Also, I hope that by turning "Use Cellular Data" on I am not going to inadvertently use a ton of data because iTunes Radio thinks I lost my WiFi connection. We'll see...

Dec 27, 2014 6:49 AM in response to Linda Custer

Same thing happens when streaming Radio from a computer using Airplay and an Apple TV. It is n't just an iOS thing, it is a problem with Apple's software across all platforms. Been happening forever. I have been providing feedback to apple after every update that does not fix the issue, and it is continuing to happen to the point that I cannot stream Radio to my apple TV at all without the music shutting off after 3-4 minutes.

iTunes Radio stops in middle of song, gets stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.