Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone has 7.85gb of "other" space and won't let me update because of lack of space. How can I get rid of this "other" space?

I am trying to update my wifes 4s to iOS 7 but her "other" has so much space taken up that it will not update. How can i get rid of "other" data space?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 11:10 AM

This indicates corrupt files.

A restore should resolve.

3 replies

Sep 29, 2013 3:30 PM in response to tgarmy

tgarmy wrote:

Now it tell me Itunes cannot backup because an "error" occured???? If i can't back it up then what do i do?

Restart the computer and the iPhone might resolve a backup issue. Also, try resetting the iPhone by holding both the sleep/wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least 10 seconds until the Apple logo reappears. Afterward, attempt to restore again.

Before you restore, consider a few other things... One particular onging thread regarding "other" data has users finding that text messages with photos and/or videos taking up the "other" space. Deleting those text conversations helps regain space. (Before deleting, transfer any photos and videos you want to keep to your camera roll or computer.) In addition, check for any deleted phone voicemail messages and delete those to as well as voice memos.

If you decide to restore, the recommendation is to restore as new phone because the backup probably has the "other" data.

HTH

My iphone has 7.85gb of "other" space and won't let me update because of lack of space. How can I get rid of this "other" space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.