Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System extension cannot be used --can anyone help ?

so i spotted that the system library as well as the home library had permissions blocked for the administrator, so i unlocked all enclosed items permissions.

i already had issues being brought to senior advisor attention over 1,5 years now, about hangs and freezes. mostly hangs.

no one so far has been able to fix them.

well now spotting these warnings, after i allowed all permissions inside both libraries, have warnings show up.

i gather these are not prepperly installed softwares, but i cant figure out what softwares they could be, so i can take care of it.

so 4 warnings shows up :

System extension cannot be used

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Unsupported.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Private.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), iphoto 9.2.3

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 11:42 AM

2 replies

Sep 29, 2013 2:55 PM in response to kuky

There isn't an "administrator" so who did you add and what permissions did you set.

In Get Info, they should be

system read & write

wheel read Only

everyone read only

The posix permissions, owner, and group should be

rwxr-xr-x root wheel

with ACE "group:everyone deny delete"

You may be able to recover by repairing permissions in Disk Utility, but you may have to reinstall the OS.

System extension cannot be used --can anyone help ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.