Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since updating to iOS 7 mail uses wrong outgoing server to send emails.

Hi!

Hopefully someone can help. My personal email address is hosted by Google (gmail) and up until recently I accessed it on my iDevices using google sync (exchange server settings). Since Google stopped supporting new devices on google sync earlier this year I was forced to use a workaround to get my emails to push to my devices: I set up my gmail account to send a copy of every email to my iCloud address which then pushes to my devices. I set up both my iPad and iPhone to send through the gmail SMTP and turned off the iCloud SMTP. This means I reply from the same address that emails get sent. This all worked brilliantly...! Until iOS 7.

None of the settings have changed (iCloud SMTP is still turned off and the gmail SMTP is set as the outgoing server) however both my iPhone and iPad send from the iCloud server using the iCloud address. This means when I reply to emails from either device it replies from a different address to which it was sent. Because of this, people have started saving this as my "new email address" (which it isn't, it was only set up for a workaround). Most annoyingly, if I get an eBay message I should be able to reply to it directly for the email, however I can't do this now as my iCloud address isn't registered with eBay and I'm not going to register a workaround email as my main address with eBay.

This is causing my a degree of annoyance. If anyone has a solution or a reason why this is happening, I'd gladly hear it!

Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 12:01 PM

5 replies

Oct 1, 2013 11:38 PM in response to neillshaw

You should still be able to switch the FROM field to your google account. Why not just use google IMAP on your device? Or pay the $5 for a real google apps account so you can still use activesync? Or install the Googe Mail app?

This is happening because the email thread to which you're replying is a thread started in/from iCloud, not gmail. Seems to be a new feature in iOS 7 Mail where the From field will automatically switch to the account used for that thread/conversation. Also, you may want to look at the iCloud email limits. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4863

Oct 5, 2013 1:45 AM in response to ChrisSmith1

I think you misundersand the issue, this is a new bug in iOS 7. It has nothing to do with the 'from' field.

Its not possible to change the SMTP server in iOS7, it always sends via iCloud if you are using iCloud for mail. Previously (and still on OSX) you can configure outgoing mail for any account to go to any smtp server. Now you are forced to use iCloud smtp if you are using iCloud for imap.

iOS now ignores the smtp settings completely, it always sends via iCloud even if iCloud smtp is disabled and you have any other smtp server configured. Nothing to do with gmail, this problem exists when trying to use any non-icloud smtp server.

Oct 14, 2013 9:09 PM in response to neillshaw

I have a similar problem. I have two Exchange email account:

1. Gmail (default)

2. Microsoft Exchange (work)

From my iPhone, I frequently email myself articles from other applications that I want to follow-up later. After upgrading to iOS7, when I type my Gmail ID in the 'To' field, the 'From' field automatially changes from my Gmail account to my work account. I didn't catch this the first few times this happened and was wondering what was going on as my emails started being sent from my work account.

Workaround for this case: Type in your To address first and then re-select the account to send From.

This is annoying and I hope Apple restores normal behavior.

Dec 5, 2015 5:45 AM in response to volatilechar

Hi, I have similar problems with IO6 as well, I have two configured out going SMTP servers one of which is disabled/off. But I like to keep it around ... just in case.

However is often sent via the disabled server and a copy of the outgoing email gets added to the "outbox" for the disabled account. But careful testing and checking of the "Received" email header (which apple hides) shows that occasionally the messages were in fact sent via the intended server. It is just that Apple does everything possible to convince you it has done the opposite of what you want.

Extremely annoying in my case as I really really really like to have a record of everything I sent in the one place.

Since updating to iOS 7 mail uses wrong outgoing server to send emails.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.