Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black bar suddenly always on my screen telling me everything I'm doing. Also when I load a page it cycles through each button/field and prevents from scrolling down the page (it jumps back to the top where it's still cycling through)

Oh, man, and I just turned up the volume and it's reading everything out loud to me. Is this an accessibility feature for the sight-impaired? How do I get it to stop!!! Thanks so much to anybody who can help!

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 4:39 PM

Well, click on the system preferences on your dock, then click accessibility, then click on voiceover, and make sure it's unchecked. That should fix the issue

4 replies

Sep 29, 2013 4:46 PM in response to Tommy197944

Thank you for your reply, which I didn't see until I had un-marked this as a question. I only discovered in the middle of writing the above post that the sound had been off and there was an audible feature to the bar. With the sound off, it had never occurred to me to check "VoiceOver" the first time I had looked at the "Accessibility" pane. Thanks again for your reply.

Sep 29, 2013 4:52 PM in response to Tommy197944

To be clear, I figured it out myself after a moment's reflection having realized there was an audible component to what was happening. I had posted this question on the iMac board about an hour before I posted here and as I said, upon posting here and turning up the sound it dawned on me what was going on. In the iMac thread I posted my solution in case anybody with the same problem were to find the thread, and then selected my own solution as an answer to close the question out. But I didn't want to do the same thing here and make it seem like I was answering my own questions all over the boards to get points! So I found that I could still un-mark as a question and did so; only upon doing so did I find your post. Otherwise I would have gone ahead and given you the points anyway, as that was the correct solution. Thanks again.

Black bar suddenly always on my screen telling me everything I'm doing. Also when I load a page it cycles through each button/field and prevents from scrolling down the page (it jumps back to the top where it's still cycling through)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.