Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with iOS 7 Text Input

Hi All!

I have come across a very interesting problem since upgrading my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini to iOS 7.

The problem, thankfully, is one that is easily replicated, and comes in two forms:

Scenario 1:

1. Open Messages
  2. Create a Message
  3. In the text input, type a word (any word will do)
  4. Tap 'return' on the keyboard
  5. attempt to bring up the 'Copy/Paste' context menu on the new line

This is where I run into the problem - I cannot under any circumstance invoke the 'Copy/Paste' menu

Scenario 2:

Similarly;

1. Open Messages
  2. Create a Message
  3. In the text input, type a word (any word will do)
  4. Tap 'return' on the keyboard
  5. type another word
  6. Tap 'return' on the keyboard
  7. type another word
  8. You should have 3 lines of text - attempt to place the text cursor after the first or second word, as if you wanted to add another word to that line

You will find that the cursor will disappear, making it very hard to tell if you are on the end of the line you want to be on, or at the beginning of the following line.

Has anybody else come across this problem?

I was very excited to see iOS 7.0.2 hoping that the problem would be resolved, but it has not been addressed yet.

I find it quite annoying... 😝

iPhone 5, iOS 7, All iOS 7 devices I have tried...

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 4:37 PM

14 replies

Oct 1, 2013 10:01 AM in response to HeavyJ251

Hello there, HeavyJ251.

The following iPhone Troubleshooting assistant should help resolve performance issue you are describing as well as provide additional information:

Apple - Support - iPhone - iPhone Troubleshooting Assistant

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/assistant/phone/

Keep in mind, that step "Close App" looks a little different now in iOS 7. For that, when closing apps, once you are in the multi-tasking display, swipe up on the window. I would also recommend closing all apps you see on this step.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro D.

Oct 1, 2013 3:42 PM in response to pedro d

Hi Pedro!

Thank you for your reply, but the issue I am experiencing is common to all iOS 7 devices I have tested, and is not a performance issue as far as I can see. The phone performs normally except for the situations I have described, and the phone is certainly not 'freezing or unresponsive'.

If you are running iOS 7 on any of your iDevices, please try the steps above to replicate the problem if you would like a better understanding of what I am describing.

Many Thanks,

HeavyJ251

Oct 1, 2013 7:08 PM in response to HeavyJ251

I experienced the same annoying bug. In short, I couldn't paste my text to a new line at the end of a text field because the menu does not show up after tapping the space of the new line. Rather I needed to paste it to the end of the second-to-last line and insert a <return> key afterwards.

It was not like that in the previous versions.

Oct 3, 2013 8:29 AM in response to HeavyJ251

I also have the same issue. Its really annoying

I also feel like the double tapping on a word has changed.

It seems to select lower than it did before makeing it very hard to select what I actually want. Quite a few times I have attempted to select a word and instead it pastes. This is because it selected the line below when I moved the cursor, brought up the context menu from the line below on first tap but still recongnized that my finger was high enough to hit the paste button on the second tap. Happend about 4 times yesterday.

Notice it editing text (any app) and highligting in iBooks. Don't like feeling like I'm fighting the OS

Oct 7, 2013 9:28 PM in response to HeavyJ251

Yep, I've noticed the exact same problem. It occurrs with any editable text with line breaks. The end of lines are almost entirely unselectable, unless you move the zoomed selector to a particular area a few pixels wide right at the end of the line. If you try to hover over the white space at the end of the line, it will automatically jump down to the beginning of the next line.

The only solution to this is to start selecting in the middle of the word then slowly move to the end of the line. It's really annoying and another instance where Apple dropped the ball in testing.

Oct 17, 2013 1:17 AM in response to HeavyJ251

My experience is that the problem is broader than described here: when trying to edit ANY text, the pointer jumps all over the screen, and moreover, it is often not visible inside the little "magnifying glass" that appears. Something similar happens by the way when trying to move the slide in a video.... it seems impossible to control the slide; when moving it forward, it can sometimes jump back to zero, or to another point. Something is very wrong in iOS7 with the communication between the touch-screen and the pointer. You cannot see what you do, and it doesn't do what you see anymore. Drives me nuts

Oct 17, 2013 4:22 AM in response to HeavyJ251

Hi All,

This (along with the TERRIBLE new calendar app) is the worst thing about IOS7 - which i really like on the whole.

Does anyone know if Apple have this logged as a bug or are looking to improve it? Apple (IMO) HAD one of the best keyboard systems around on smartphones -until this.

This really does make me soooooo mad - It's not just the navigation, pointer or zoom that's affected. Typing in general seems more clunky and slower.

-I don't really use Whatsapp, but on the advice above I tried it and it was amazing! Typing is so much better the keyboard is just like it used to be.

This REALLY need to be corrected ASAP!

Oct 22, 2013 2:03 AM in response to HeavyJ251

I have exactly the same problem listed. It's my biggest gripe with ios7. Although, like PartyBoyMarty, I also find the calendar horrendous.

My problem includes the cursor disappearing when zooming in and/or jumping all over the place. It is obviously a bug, which has to be fixed. Whereas the new calendar is a design, which is a massive step backwards.

Issues with iOS 7 Text Input

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.