Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 wifi greyout problem

Why my wifi is still not working and sometimes work only for some minutes , i have try all kind of solution but its still the same , please fix it ! thanks

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 5:18 PM

12 replies

Oct 3, 2013 10:09 AM in response to crazyclubber

Same with my iPhone 4S since i have installaed IOS 7.0.2 wifi & bluetooth are not working.

Same with my sisters and my father iPhone... I' m really angry if i reset network settings and restart the device i can turn on wifi but ios freeze... and after 5 minutes wifi get grayed again.

i' m reading a lot of commets from apple about a new 7.0.3 fix for imessage and appstore i hope they will get working also this connectivity problem.

I called yesterday the apple support Italy and they told me to send my phone for rapair for 211 Euros and the phone is still on warranty...

I'm angry

Oct 9, 2013 12:50 PM in response to crazyclubber

I also have problems with no wifi after I the update to 7.0.2 but not after I turn my iphone off completely

I had tried likes 7 different suggestions ..take the ' of your iphone name..turn airplane mode on and off..reset network connections ..and it is not rputer becuase my ipad has wifi and is next to me...turnoof holdin both buttons at the same time...cooling down on the fridge...NOTHING WORKS !!....and for the last 10 days or more I have read and read complaints about this...so Apple pleSe fix it! ..but I guess their solution is back up your iphone....rest it as new and voula!...2 times by the store and a day later the same problem....so today I went to my carrier to see if they have a new idea and the lady told me that the processor for the iphone 4s its the one causing the problems...I don't know what to think at this point..the only thing I know that the wifi with the old ios was working really good and now ...*****!!!

Maybe the 7.0.2 is only for the newest iphone 5?

Oct 9, 2013 3:46 PM in response to crazyclubber

crazyclubber,

Please would you tell us after you are able to connect to wifi, before it goes bad again, did you run any apps on it?

There are many flavors of the wifi problem:

1.) Wifi button greyed out.

2.) Wifi not greyed out don't see any wifi networks.

3.) Can see wifi networks, but can't join.

4.) Can join but is not stable drops by itself.

5.) Can stay on, but is very slow.

#1 is the most difficult to troubleshoot because the solution most often suggested is "reset network settings" or restore phone.

From reading your post, your wifi button is not disabled, correct?

Did you by any chance run the app called "Speedtest" after wifi is on?

Oct 9, 2013 3:50 PM in response to crazyclubber

It is a hardware issue. Take your phone to an apple store. If you are under warranty they will replace for free if not they will charge you $199. It happened to me and this is what the the geniuses at the store told me---"the new OS disclosed an unknown hardware incompatibility problem". It cannot be fixed with a software fix. While I was in the store they replaced 4 other phones with the same problem. Good luck.

Oct 10, 2013 12:49 AM in response to jjacobs198

there we have it, "the new OS dislosed an unknown hardware incompatibility poroblem", in other words the updated ios identified a hardware compatibility problem that they were not aware of, the hardware in a considerable number of 4s phones is not compatible with the recent ios update, they were not aware of it and hence it's caused the problems

out of warranty or not, for me it's Apple's blunder!

it's like Microsoft updating your PC and when it's ruined saying sorry it's out of warranty

or taking your BMW to the dealership for a service, they say there's an update to the engine, which you agree to, obviously, and then the car will only do 30mph; and they say, sorry it's out of warranty!

if the phone goes wrong through general use, I accept the out of warranty cry, but not after a critical update that highlights a problem with the hardware!

Oct 26, 2013 2:59 AM in response to crazyclubber

I had similar issues after the 7.0.3 update on the 4S. (7.0.2 was fine) - but no wifi settings displaying at all except the enable/disable slider which was unresponsive.

After many restarts... what finally worked was doing the following two steps.

Settings > Reset > Reset All Settings

Settings > Reset > Reset Network Settings

But spotty wifi could mean something misconfigured or faulty on your router or WAN connection.

Also check General > About > Diagnostic & USage > Diagnostic & Usage data for a stack trace...

Nov 4, 2013 12:56 PM in response to Yohs

Guys,
So this is a known problem and it is related a hardware compatibility issues after upgrading to the iOS 7.

This problem causes the Wifi chip to overheat and stop working.

Just for the fun of it showdown your phone and put it in the freezer for 5-7min.

Power it and in the setting get your Wifi activated, it should work for a while and it will overheat again.

Apple knows about this problem with iPhone 4s and if your phone under warranty they replace it.

I’m not planning to travel to Hong Kong (where are bought my device) and do not plan to use my Wifi at a freezing cold weather…. so…bad luck for me L

I've broken my own rule....NEVER be the 1st to ugrade!....

iOS 7 wifi greyout problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.