Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is my 2013 Macbook Pro extremely hot after sleeping for several hours with the cover shut? Also the fan is running super loud and it is non-responsive, even when holding down the on/off switch for a long time. (I had to do this several times!)

I came home from an errand of several hours' duration to find that my Macbook Pro that I just purchased less than a week ago was RED HOT--so hot that I felt like if I hadn't returned home it would have burned down my house!!! The fan was running like crazy as well, and was REALLY LOUD. The cover had been closed, and I wasn't running any program or downloading anything, When I opened the cover the screen was totally dark--i.e., no friendly welcome! I tried pressing several keys but the screen wouldn't come up. I then pressed the on/off switch for about 30 seconds--nothing. I tried this several times--nothing. Finally it turned off, and I then was able to turn it back on, and am typing this message on what is now a machine that is acting like its old self. However, I am s**t scared about this occurrence. I have heard of Mac's that caught fire, and all I can think of at this point is thank the gods for Apple Care because it looks like this machine is going back to Apple unless someone on this forum can help me out!

Thanks!!!

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 29, 2013 6:14 PM

3 replies

Sep 30, 2013 10:50 AM in response to tjk

Thanks for the helpful advice. I will definitely call Apple and let them know about this. My roommate also made a helpful suggestion. I use a plastic keyboard protector when I cook (which is often) so that food particles and liquids do not get into the crevices of the keyboard. I used to leave the keyboard protector in place on my old Macbook (which also used to overheat, but not to the point that this one did). My roommate suggested that I not use the keyboard protector except when I am cooking, as evidently the fan draws air from the keyboard in order to stay cool.

Thanks again!

Sep 30, 2013 10:56 AM in response to DeDeNYC

"as evidently the fan draws air from the keyboard in order to stay cool."

This is a common misconception. Yes, ambient heat radiates from it, as it does from any part of your machine. But the keyboard was not designed, in any capacity, for heat dissipation and covering it will not raise internal temperatures to any noticeable degree.

Within 14 days of purchase Apple will give you a brand new model.

If you wish, you can download this software and post the temperature output from the machine upon wake. You can take a screenshot of the temperature readings:

iStat Menus, a Mac app by Bjango

why is my 2013 Macbook Pro extremely hot after sleeping for several hours with the cover shut? Also the fan is running super loud and it is non-responsive, even when holding down the on/off switch for a long time. (I had to do this several times!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.