Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS Confusion

This is a question from someone who does not (yet) have an iPad. It concerns GPS capability.

If I have a dedicated GPS navigator in my car, it simply works: I don't need a cellular data plan or a WiFi hub.

But if I were to get the latest model of iPad (non-mini version) and bring it with me in my car, would it operate like a dedicated GPS? (i.e., like a Garmin Nuvi or a TomTom?)

Or does an iPad require service with a cellular carrier on their data plan in order to work as a GPS?

Much thanks.

iMac (20-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.7.5), 2 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, 8x dual layer Super Drive

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 4:07 AM

GPS doesn't need wi-fi or cellular to work, but downloading maps and data does.

Some of the navigation apps can preload the map data so you don't need the cellular/wi-fi connection to use them.

Hope that makes sense

9 replies

Sep 30, 2013 12:23 PM in response to franzkaiser

posted by nick101:

GPS doesn't need wi-fi or cellular to work, but downloading maps and data does.

Correct. Nowadays many users with WiFi and GPS-enabled cell phones download and install apps like Navigon (for Android phones), which allows them to pre-load maps to their phone and then gives turn-by-turn directions when they are in their car. This avoids having to use their cell phone's data plan.

The minor disadvantage is that, because you pre-download the maps, you don't get up-to-the-minute status on road closures, traffic, etc. To have this "live" GPS, you would need to turn on the phone's data plan OR get a dedicated GPS (which doesn't require a data plan).You still have to download map updates (which may be free or may have an annual subscription fee, depending on the GPS model).

So basically... (I've been doing some reading, so I hope I got this right):

GPS on cell phone - Yes

- if you turn on the data connection (costs money on your data plan) you get "live" real-time info

- if you don't turn on data connection, can pre-load maps via navigation app for GPS, but no "live" real-time info (minor disadvantage)

Dedicated GPS - Yes

- always "live," real-time info (type of info and how detailed depends on your model)

- no data plan required

posted by franzkaiser:

My iPad 2 wifi model is able to do GPS navigation without a data connection as long as I preload the needed maps. You can do this with Google Maps, but it takes a lot of preparation. Easier to buy a Tomtom or Navigon app.

This is the type of info I'm looking for. The above tells me that the iPad 2 works like a GPS-enabled cell phone; it doesn't work like a dedicated GPS. Does anyone know if the same applies to the iPad 4?

And to further complicate my understanding (and this is from memory, so bear with me):

I recall reading something about the iPad 3. Its specs specifically stated that a model was available with "WiFi/3G." Anyone who wanted GPS on their iPad had to make sure they purchased the 3G model. My understanding from what I read is that the iPad 3 with 3G was the only one that worked like a dedicated GPS right out of the box (e.g., like a TomTom or Garmin): no pre-loading of maps of your trip (only map updates have to be downloaded), no data connection, etc. It was the equivalent of having DRM-free songs on iTunes.

But the iPad 4 specs say "WiFi/Cellular" or "WiFi/Cellular carrier/GPS," so what does that mean? Are we back to the GPS of the iPad 2 (works like a cell phone)? Is it dedicated GPS? Or is it both?

Thanks all.

References:

CNET April 2012: Does it still make sense to buy a GPS?

CNET Ask Maggie March 2013: Can dataless smartphones still use GPS navigation apps?

Sep 30, 2013 12:29 PM in response to L.A.B.

not to throw water on what looks like a happy answer - but run some tests. It is my understanding that the wifi only pad does not have gps hardare installed at tall. (My ipad 2 does not).

If you have a 3 g pad, it does have a gps chip, which will work whether or not you have the 3 g radio turned on or not.

The wifi only pad will get a gps positon from your wifi, but it cannot update that position once you start to move.

you can buy an external GPS receiver. I have a bad elf (yes, thats what it is really called) and there are several map sets available from the app store.

Oddly enough, the cost of a bad elf and the cost of a new tom tom or garmin are about the same.

Whether you are 3 g or wifi only, if you know where you are going, you can download the maps before you leave, but you still need to resilve the GPS signal. good luck.

Sep 30, 2013 12:33 PM in response to franzkaiser

franzkaiser wrote:

The above is not correct. My iPad 2 wifi model is able to do GPS navigation without a data connection as long as I preload the needed maps. You can do this with Google Maps, but it takes a lot of preparation. Easier to buy a Tomtom or Navigon app.

You are incorrect. The wifi-only iPad does not have GPS hardware. It will not connect to GPS satellites and will not do GPS location or navigation.

Mar 2, 2015 7:31 AM in response to georgefromlutz

The bad elf is a piece of hardware that provides GPS to wifi only pads- that do not have a GPS chip. Turn by turn comes from the software, and some does, and some doesn't. The bad elf works with Google maps, but since, by definition, you would not have a data connection, you won't get turn by turn.

ALso, keep in mind that you will need to download maps for where you are going, or buy a full set.

THe the elf is a good solution for displaying where you are, but if your primary need is turn by turn you are probably better off with a stand alone garmin or Tom tom, and these days, the price is about the same.

Mar 2, 2015 7:49 AM in response to L.A.B.

A mini-education:

GPS signals are separate from and completely unrelated to both the Internet and the cellular telephone network. GPS signals come directly from the GPS satellites. They provide signals that allow GPS receivers to calculate latitude and longitude information. Map software then takes that latitude/longitude info and converts it to land mass, roads, bridges, highways, buildings, etc. Navigation software is "map software on steroids." It goes one step further in that it provides real-time directions to enable you to reach a desired destination.

Most navigation software stores the maps right in the iPad/iPod/iPhone but a disadvantage is that the maps must be periodically updated (perhaps once/year). The Internet is not required to use the system but it is required to update the maps.

Some navigation software gets the maps from the Internet and requires an Internet connection to function but an advantage is that the maps are always up-to-date.

The WiFi+3G/4G iPad and the iPhone both have a GPS receiver. The WiFi-only iPad and the iPod do not and these devices require an accessory.

GPS Confusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.