Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Isight has desapeared from my mac book air (version 10.7.5); the webcam does not work whit any program (photo Boot - skype - google hangout etc.)

Isight has desapeared from my mac book air (version 10.7.5);

the webcam does not work whit any program (photo Boot - skype - google hangout etc.)

I try to download ISight Updater but the version available on Apple is not compatible with my Mac OS Version.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/iSight_Updater_1_0_3

http://www.apple.com/fr/support/isight/

Any ideas?

Thanks!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 8:34 AM

The 1.0.3 updater is only for very old (Mac OS X v10.3.7-10.3.9) external iSights.

It CANNOT be related to your built-in iSight's problem.

If restarting Mac does not fix your trouble, use all relevant suggestions from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090 to find your problem. Then you will know what to fix.

For example, the SMC "reset" suggested there sometimes restores normal function.

If not, be sure to test more than one Apple app in more than one user account and check your System Profiler utility to see if your Mac recognizes your iSight as a USB hardware device.

If the problem remains, use Disk Utility to repair permissions. Then download and apply the OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (Client Combo). Repair permissions AGAIN immediately following the restart that complete update installation.

If you need to post back fo more ideas, please tell us WHICH MacBook Air you have. Also tell us which Apple apps you tested in multiple user accounts, which ones (if any) worked, and which did not.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.8.5

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2013 8:34 AM in response to CloeSound

The 1.0.3 updater is only for very old (Mac OS X v10.3.7-10.3.9) external iSights.

It CANNOT be related to your built-in iSight's problem.

If restarting Mac does not fix your trouble, use all relevant suggestions from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090 to find your problem. Then you will know what to fix.

For example, the SMC "reset" suggested there sometimes restores normal function.

If not, be sure to test more than one Apple app in more than one user account and check your System Profiler utility to see if your Mac recognizes your iSight as a USB hardware device.

If the problem remains, use Disk Utility to repair permissions. Then download and apply the OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (Client Combo). Repair permissions AGAIN immediately following the restart that complete update installation.

If you need to post back fo more ideas, please tell us WHICH MacBook Air you have. Also tell us which Apple apps you tested in multiple user accounts, which ones (if any) worked, and which did not.

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Oct 1, 2013 8:34 AM in response to EZ Jim

Thanks alot for your help

but I have further questions;

Firs of all, here all the details concerning my MacBook Air

Nome modello:MacBook Air
Identificatore modello:MacBookAir4,1
Nome processore:Intel Core i7
Velocità processore:1,8 GHz
Numero di processori:1
Numero totale di Core:2
Cache L2 (per Core):256 KB
Cache L3:4 MB
Memoria:4 GB
Versione Boot ROM:MBA41.0077.B0F
Version SMC (sistema):1.74f4
Numero di serie (sistema):C***********HF
Hardware UUID:

823B6FB9-15C8-5E50-BBD6-909BB593CB13

To answer you, I've tried with all the application which use the webcam.

If I search for Isight, inside my computer I can't find it.

Is like if the application has been cancelled, and I don't know why.

Last time I used the webcam was during a google hangout.

And then it has desapeared.

Aswering you,

I've made all the paht

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090?viewlocale=en_US

util number 4

I guess I've to restart the PMU because I've a MacBook Air, is it correct?

"

Reset SMC or PMU

Reset your computer's SMC or PMU, and then check System Profiler again. (SMC reset instructions for iMac G5 (iSight), Intel-based iMacs; PMU reset instructions for MacBook and MacBook Pro.)

"

BUT

How to do it?

I found only old articles on apple.

And if instaid I've to reset de SMC (I've found clear instructions) what is the risk? I can loose informtaion-memory-application and programs?

Thanks in advance,

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Oct 1, 2013 9:48 AM in response to CloeSound

You're welcome.

CloeSound wrote: ... here all the details concerning my MacBook Air...

Thanks for your clear response.

From the info you posted, I believe you have a MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2011). Knowing your exact model helps me to recommend only potential solutions that are relevant to your specific model.

For your future postings, ¶ 2.11 of Apple Support Communities - Terms of Use cautions you not to reveal any personal information in posts. The Hosts have now edited out the Numero di serie (sistema) you posted above.

CloeSound wrote: ... If I search for Isight, inside my computer I can't find it.

Is like if the application has been cancelled, and I don't know why...

There is no separate iSight "application". Each application that uses iSight controls it separately.

To determine whether your Mac recognizes your iSight (probably called "FaceTime camera" in your MBA) launch your MBA's "System Information" utility.

After you launch "System Information", click the "USB" item in the "Hardware" item of the "System Information" window's sidebar. (If the reveal triangles are pointing to the right like ►, click on it so it points down like this ▼ to find the USB item.) Then look under each USB bus item in the "USB Device Tree" for your camera.

If there is no iSight or FaceTime camera listed anywhere in your "USB Device Tree", verify that you used the correct PMU/SMC "reset" procedure for your particular Mac model. (See more information on this below.) If your camera is still not recognized in "System Information", yours is most likely a hardware problem that will require a professional fix.

For hardware help, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service.

Unless you have a current backup, make one before giving your Mac to the repair technician.

CloeSound wrote: ...I guess I've to restart the PMU because I've a MacBook Air...

Correct! (but the PMU and SMU terms are used interchangeably in some technical articles. Confusing! 😕 )

CloeSound wrote:... PMU reset instructions for .... How to do it?

Use the instructions for "Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own" from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964. (This link is the "PMU" link from the iSight Troubleshooting article, but it takes you to an article entitled "Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)". Confusing! 😕 )

To be clear, I copy the pertinent instructions for your Mac here:

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

CloeSound wrote:... to reset de SMC (I've found clear instructions) what is the risk? ...

There is no data or application risk if you carefully follow the above instructions. However, to be certain, I suggest you save all open changes. If you want to be obsessive, you can even make a fresh backup of your Mac before resetting.

CloeSound wrote:... I can loose informtaion-memory-application and programs?...

The only changes you might notice after resetting is that your preferences for the related settings may return to their default values. Related items that SMC controls include are listed in HT3964 article. I copy them here so you can verify that you are looking at the correct articles:

The System Management Controller (SMC) is responsible for many low-level functions on Intel-based Macs. These functions include:

• Responding to presses of the power button
  • Responding to the display lid opening and closing on portable Macs
  • Battery management
  • Thermal management
  • The SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor)
  • Ambient light sensing
  • Keyboard backlighting
  • Status Indicator Light (SIL) management
  • Battery status indicator lights
  • Selecting an external (instead of internal) video source for some iMac displays

Mac OSX 10.8.5

Isight has desapeared from my mac book air (version 10.7.5); the webcam does not work whit any program (photo Boot - skype - google hangout etc.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.