Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full cycle battery MacBook Pro Retina 13'

Hello what is the meaning of full cycle charge?

Do i need to wait untill the battery will drain to 0%? or should i wait to 20%-30%?

Thanks

Aviram

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 6:11 AM

Do not let battery charge percentage run down to 0%.

About 20% is fine,

Newer batteries do not need calibration.

For more on this:

Macbook Pro Battery Cycle Count

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519

6 replies

Sep 30, 2013 9:33 AM in response to Aviramyosef

It is okay to go below 20% every now and then. If you do this regularly, the life of your battery will be diminished. As standard practice, the ideal usage would be to recharge around ~40%. The main thing to remember is not to let your battery go to 0% and leave it in an uncharged state for an extended period of time. You're battery could lose it's ability to hold a charge (aka, die).

The reason you don't need to calibrate li-ion batteries is because they do not experience the "Memory effect" which the older generation of Apple portable batteries did.

Oct 1, 2013 12:09 AM in response to Aviramyosef

As of now, there was really no need for me to use my 13" MacBook Pro Retina. The lowest was 50% with 7 hours of use. As I've mentioned, Whenever I'm just in the office or at home, I use the battery till 90% then plug it in power the rest of the day. Before when I got my first MacBook Pro in 2011, I was also very concerned with my battery. I've read a lot of posts. Then I decided i would use it till I only get 20% of battery left, and also calibrated it every once in a while, only to find out I was doing it the wrong way. So again, the best and optimal usage of the battery is to let the juices flowing, using it and charging it whenever you can.

Full cycle battery MacBook Pro Retina 13'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.