Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod 4 Generation GPS/Location Service - Question

Hello, I have a iPod touch 4G. I'm running iOS 6.1.3. And, I have enabled my Location Services. But, I also downloaded few Navigations apps, and some of them are: Navigon, Sygic, And NavFree. And They kinda work. I heard that the iPod touch 4Gen DOESN'T have a GPS Satellite bult in it. Look, I am in Australia. And, I first, was in Sydney (in the city on sheperd st). And i had no internet acces on my Ipod touch 4G. And I launched my app Navigon, and it showed where I am. It was showing my correct location. And then i moved around in my car, and the mark of my car in the app KEPT moving along with me. But it doesnt moove as smooth. Like, it lags for 1-2 secs. Like, it mooves, and stops for a sec, and then moves. But my question is, that HOW CAN MY IPOD TOUCH 4G FIND AND KNOW WHERE I AM without internet acces ? Its pretty cool it can, but DOES IT HAVE A GPS INSIDE ? and i tried other apps like sygic or Navfree, they move and find me where I am with my WI-FI turned off. So, how can it work like a gps without any gps chip inside. Tell me!

-Thank you.

iPod touch (4th generation), iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 6:21 AM

For location the iPod uses the location of nearby wifi routers that are in Apple's database. You do not have to be connected to the network/router to use that router's location.

Thus there were nearby wifi router tat were in Apple database and the iPod has cached their position. The iPod does not have GPS

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2013 6:21 AM in response to harshsyd

For location the iPod uses the location of nearby wifi routers that are in Apple's database. You do not have to be connected to the network/router to use that router's location.

Thus there were nearby wifi router tat were in Apple database and the iPod has cached their position. The iPod does not have GPS

iPod 4 Generation GPS/Location Service - Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.