In iOS7, currently, location-based reminders won't fire if the Reminders app is explicitly terminated by the user. That is if the user removes it from the Multi-Tasking application list (brought up with a double-press of the Home button).
Also, Background App Refresh needs to be on for Reminders for location-based reminders to fire.
So, in order to have location-based reminders to work on iOS7, you need:
- Reminders to be either in the foreground or in the background (after launching Reminders, you can press the Home button and use other apps)
- The general switch under Settings > General > Background App Refresh set to ON
- The Reminders switch under Settings > General > Background App Refresh set to ON
In iOS 7 location based Reminders no longer function unless the Reminders app is running in the background.
If I ask Siri to remind me of things when I arrive or leave a location she confirms the request by saying "Here is the reminder for when you get home, should I create it?" I then confirm and she says ,"I'll remind you". She doesn't mention that Reminders needs to be active in order to remind me.
If this is intended behavior in iOS 7 this is a major step backward in terms of intuitive functionality and ease of use. I mean, I'm asking Siri to remind me of stuff because I'm probably not going to remember to do something. Why should I have to additionally remember to have Reminders running in the background to receive a Reminder notification? Very counter intuitive.
Steps that I have taken to try and resolve issue:
• Restore as new iPhone and manually install all apps
• Make sure that Siri is accessing my correct home and office location through my contact information.
• Made sure Reminder is in my Notification Center and all notifications types are turned on in the Notification Center
• Make sure the Do Not Disturb feature is not running either manually or scheduled
• Make sure Siri is on and has "my info" correct
• Make sure Background App Refresh is on and that it is turned on for Reminders
• Make sure a sound has been selected for Reminders in the Sounds settings
• Make sure Location Services are turned on gloabally and that it is turned on for Reminders and Siri specifically.
• Make sure all System Services are turned on
• Make sure I have cell signal when I arrive at places I am supposed to be reminded at
Still doesn't work!!
Also of interest:
- "iOS: Force an app to close": http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137
It's typically unnecessary to force an application to close unless the app is unresponsive. You can view all recently used apps by double-clicking the Home button. These apps are not open; they are in a suspended state.
If you close an app that has been configured to receive background notifications, it will no longer receive them until it has been reopened."
- "iOS: Understanding multitasking": http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4211
"If you close an app multitasking interface, it won't be able to refresh in the background.”
I am having the same issue that the original post spoke of. I have just reviewed the settings on my iPhone and determined that both of the settings that you spoke of are correctly turned on. However the problem persists. Every time I set a reminder to remind me of something when I arrive at a location (that IS in my address book) as soon as I go back to the remider home screen the location reminder shows up at first, then within seconds clears.