Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Background app refresh not working iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.2

iPhone 5 32GB GSM iOS 7.0.2

Currently I have my device restored to a fresh iOS 7.0.2 no backup restored no iCloud set.

Since iOS 7.0 I've had the app "Mailbox" and never saw any issues. I read only about how people were getting logged off the app, but that never happened to me. For the longest time I thought that I was one of the lucky ones but it turns out that Background app refresh wasn't working and here's why. I like using the app "Newsify". It's an RSS reader that I like but stopped using it because it didn't support push notifications. I would have to open the app, wait for it to refresh and then I could see all my stuff. We'll with the release of iOS 7 they updated the app and added background app refresh support. I went into the app settings and configured that I wanted it to refresh every hour and waited. Well 2 hours went by and nothing. So I opened the app and it started refreshing and I saw a bunch of updates. I was like ***??? So I started to look into it and noticed that none of my Background app refresh apps weren't working as supposed. Please help.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 8:03 AM

It finally worked. I did a restore>set as new iphone and didn't log into icloud. I'm going to log into icloud right now and set up all my apps and see if iCloud was the issue (don't know why would it be).

8 replies

Oct 4, 2013 5:48 AM in response to Jose-4440

So here is what I ended up doing.

I did a fresh restore and logged into my icloud. I waited for all my calendars, contacts, reminders, ect. to sync and turned off icloud but selected the option to keep that data on my phone. Then I created a new icloud account and waited for the new data to sync to my new icloud. After that I performed another fresh restore but this time I logged into my new icloud. I downloaded "Newsify" again and waited for it to do the background app refresh and it did :). It turns out that it stopped doing it and it was the app the whole time of just buggy ios 7 so I restored from the backup I did before all of this and end of sotrie.

Nov 1, 2013 2:53 AM in response to elmac

My iOS is up to date (7.0.3) and I have a 5S too! Background refresh was working for me initially when I got my new iPhone (well I think it seemed to anyway) but has since stopped working.

Perhaps resetting all settings will work, however that is LONG! I guess I'll try it. Just so we're in the same page you do mean Settings>General>Reset>Reset all settings?

Background app refresh not working iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.