Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7 iPhone 5 Battery Life

Hello all,

I have updated to iOS 7 and love the new OS. However, I believe my battery life is far worse, like something is wrong worse. Here's the story:

I updated on day one, following the OTA update the phone was freezing multiple times per day. I did a fresh restore and then a restore from backup. This solved my freezing issue. I then noticed my battery appeared to be draining unusally fast. I waited a couple of days for the OS to settle down and then I calibrated the battery two days in a row (full charge down to 0% battery). The next day I thought it was fixed as I had incredible battery life, usage time and standby time were both exceptional. The next day it was back to draining really quickly. I went to the Apple store and the genius said he believed it was software after running diagnostics. My battery looked good. He told me, very confidently that a DFU restore would fix it. I didn't really want to do this, because then I would lose all my data, but the battery life issue is killing me, and I was due for a spring cleaning anyway.

I did a DFU restore through iTunes and started fresh, I calibrated the battery once, and have been having quick draining. The genius told me they would replace the hardware if the DFU restore didn't work. Is anyone else having this problem? Am I crazy?

my stats right now are, 88% battery, 55 minutes usage, 3 hours and 45 minutes standby, what are your stats?

Any help is appreciated. I have an appointment tomorrow, I'm just hesitant to swap hardware it it's not a hardware issue. My iPhone 5 is the first batch that was released.

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 10:00 AM

9 replies

Sep 30, 2013 10:11 AM in response to razmee209

No, that is not a fix. I am using the iPhone in the same way as before the update. I shouldn't have to turn services off to get the quoted usage. App refresh is not stealing the battery that I am talking about.

Example: I was sitting on the couch with my wife last night. She browsed the internet at full brightness while I used auto brightness. My iPhone went down 11% while hers went down 5%. We have the same services turned on, I believe something is wrong.

Sep 30, 2013 11:03 AM in response to KClough

Thanks for the info, as much info as possible helps. If my math is correct, you are getting 1 minute of usage for every .207% of battery. I am currently getting 1 minute of usage for every .283% of battery. So it appears yours is slightly better than mine right now. Extrapolated out, it looks like you'd get 7.9 hours of usage at that rate, and I would get 5.9 hours...interesting.

Sep 30, 2013 11:15 AM in response to TRICKorDEVICE

TRICKorDEVICE wrote:

my stats right now are, 88% battery, 55 minutes usage, 3 hours and 45 minutes standby, what are your stats?

Where are you getting those stats? From the bottom of the Setting->General screen? If you are you will notice that the heading says, very plainly, "TIME SINCE LAST FULL CHARGE". I ask because my numbers are wackier than yours.

My last charge was this morning, about 8+ hours ago. Mine displays Usage: 38 Minutes, Standby: 8 hours, 11 minutes. Which makes sense. I guess I have used the phone for 38 minutes although that seems high, and standby is probably 8+ hours. My charge level is at 92%.

So look at those numbers carefully if those are indeed the numbers you are using. As they represent the usage time since the last charge, not the remaining time left on the charge.

I might also add that I have an App, called System Status, that indicates that I have almost 7 hours of talk, 8 hours of video, 34 hours of audio, 8 hours of WIFI, and 196 hours of standby based on a 92% battery charge.

Sep 30, 2013 11:31 AM in response to raymond73

Yes, that's where I'm getting the numbers from, and I know it's since last full charge...that's the last time I was at 100%. Based on your stats it looks like you are burning .21% battery per minute. That's actually pretty good!

Mine is now at 70% for 90 minutes of usage. That's an appalling .33% per minute. At that rate I will only get around 5 hours of usage. Your currently set to get about 7.9 hours, which is pretty great/quoted.

Something is definitely wrong with mine, must be hardware, because I DFU restored, and I'm still having problems.

Sep 30, 2013 12:46 PM in response to TRICKorDEVICE

TRICKorDEVICE wrote:

Based on your stats it looks like you are burning .21% battery per minute. That's actually pretty good!

Actually your numbers are off substantially. At .21% per minute, 5 minutes would be 1 percent. Multiply that by 100 and you get 500 minutes which is about 4 hours and 20 minutes. I only lost 8% in 8 hours. That is 1 percent per hour, or about 0.016 percent per minute.

I think some of the battery issues have to do with cell power. The weaker the signal the more the phone has to drive the transmitter to stay in contact with the tower. That increase in power uses battery. I am on Verizon and have a consistently strong signal, 4 out of 5 dots where I am currently located. I am also connected to WIFI most of the day so very little data traverses the cell network.

Sep 30, 2013 4:14 PM in response to TRICKorDEVICE

TRICKorDEVICE wrote:

There has to be something wrong with my phone.

Well I certainly have nothing else to offer. I have no problems with my phone, model A1429. It supports both CDMA and GSM. Needed that for my travels to Europe. Hopefully you are still under warranty and get the phone swapped. If you are out of warranty, but have Applecare, head to the store and pay your $49.00 for a replacement phone.

iOS 7 iPhone 5 Battery Life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.