Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will Apple figure out that USB and microSD are must have items in a tablet?

I have an iPhone and the new iPad and love them both. The only problem is that prior to this I only had Android phones and tablets all of which have microSD and USB ports. Such ports are MUST HAVE options and for the life of me I cannot understand why Apple will not put them into their devices. I for one love my iPad and iPhone but will not purchase any in the future without USB and SD ports.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 10:32 AM

NO one but Apple can know that.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

tell them how you feel. This is just a user to user forum and none of us can help you with this, sorry.

63 replies

Sep 30, 2013 10:50 AM in response to jburke4

They're "must have" options for you. They're obviously not "must have" for the millions of others who, like me, have had no need for them. If you need to use SD cards or USB to get photos from a camera, get the Camera Connection Kit:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

If you want to be able to connect peripherals and expand storage, then as the others has said you'll probably need to buy some other device, as while none of us speak for Apple I think the chances of expandable storage or USB support are very low.

Regards.

Sep 30, 2013 11:14 AM in response to jburke4

Why are these must haves ?

Please explain when iOS has airprint (no cable necessary)

IOS devices have a mass of in-built storage

Photostream moves photos automatically and seamlessly between iOS devices and your Mac/PC nothing to do to transfer.

iOS7 and the new 5S and 5C and all future models have airdrop for sharing with other similar devices.

Third party software such a bump allows transfers with other devices including Android PC and Mac via ad-hoc WiFi - No settings cards or cables necessary.

Exchange files on and off via dropbox again no cable or cards necessary.

Oh and as storage media and expansion media SD cards are dog slow.

Give just one good reason.

Now if you had put NFC in you list that might have been of interest even if its actually pretty much the same a airdrop in functionality.

Sep 30, 2013 11:38 AM in response to WhiteVolvo

Right, but external cords, adapters and etc are not exactly a good high tech solution. Blue-tooth is nice but it does not cover you in every scenario where a USB and/or SD can allow you to swap data with anyone virtually anywhere.

I am also in a rural area where I sometimes need to move data where no internet connection is possible so that takes iCloud, Dropbox and etc. out of the picture.

In spite of some of they typically snarky comments above this is obviously an issue in areas other than hardcore Apple fans. I do appreciate some of the folks who are willing to actually discuss such things.

I know of no other high end tablet or smart phone that does not have such features. I do like my iPhone and iPad but seriously miss being able to take a thumb drive from a friend and transfer some data or pop the microSD out of my Digital Camera and pop that into my tablet. If I just used it to play games and browse Facebook this wouldn't be a problem but I use these for my job and it is a problem.

Sep 30, 2013 12:02 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Thanks Johnathan,

I would rather have them integrated like virtually all other smart devices. I didn't think it'd be a big deal until after I purchased them and had buyers remorse. I absolutely love these, but hate that they lack such a basic feature that is availble in every other smart device on the market. They are so fundamental that I didn't even think to see if the i-devices had them.

Not having the USB and microSD makes them less businessman friendly. Particularly when you have a large ranging area like I have covering most of 2 states including very rural areas where I'm pretty sure they are still using 1980's era cell phones.

Sep 30, 2013 12:02 PM in response to jburke4

Again the Camera kit allows you to do what you want swap via SD cards on and off and also USB and cable with one exception and that's the thumb-drive.

Apple does not allow data transfer that way because iOS doesn't have an accessible file manager.

You really need to buy the camera kit.

There are also practical reasons that USB and SD card readers are NOT on board they take space they make the device thicker and heavier and they need their own controllers and power adding further space and weight.

The Lightning/30 pin sockets significantly reduce the weight and energy consumption that USB and an SD cardreader would involve

Again install bump its third party ad-hoc Wifi for file transfer with almost any device including your Android friends or your PC no 3G or Wiifi necessary.

You need to do some configuration and software tests.

I recommend bump, Goodreader and Dropbox in any tablet setup.

All that said I think you may have made your mind up that for you legacy support may have value - Suggest you try a Surface if you can stand that W8 look and feel and limited software options oh and dire battery life.

Sep 30, 2013 12:03 PM in response to jburke4

jburke4 wrote:

or pop the microSD out of my Digital Camera and pop that into my tablet.

Again, the Camera Connection Kit will do this.

In any case, I understand that some people do need/want features not present in an iPad. No one device suits all needs. If having a true USB connector and a built-in micro-SD card reader are important to you, then you'll need to purchase some other device. While none of us here can say with any certainty that Apple will never include such features in a future iPad, I've seen nothing to indicate that their philosophy about that is changing or is likely to.

Regards.

Sep 30, 2013 12:07 PM in response to jburke4

I think AirStash will solve your problem.

Apple keeps things simple while enabling 3rd-parties to deliver wireless devices that meet the needs of the few that need external devices, such as hard drives or SD drives on iOS devices. AirStash is a case in point. It allows you to plug in SD cards to your iOS device.

http://www.businessinsider.com/airstash-2011-6

Sep 30, 2013 12:13 PM in response to Keith Doherty3

Yeah,

The lack of a file manager was a surprise to me as well. I actually find that the bluetooth radio takes far more power than an sd reader. I keep my radio off most of the time only turning it on when I need it to both reduce power consumption and to provide increased security. I could actually live without the thicker USB if I had the SD reader. My issue is that I have to lug so much junk everywhere I go that I have been forced to move from a briefcase to a backpack to carry it all. I have no more room to add an external SD reader, external camera cord, external USB adapter and etc.

I do use Dropbox a lot, but unfortunately most of my clients do not but just about everyone who does not live in a mud hut has USB and SD access. A workaround is that I have been forced to stop using my digital camera for work and only use my iPhone the bad part about that is that any decent resolution pictures gobble up my storage and when you are taking dozens of high res photo's at a single location and visiting multiple locations in the same day it becomes an issue.

I have not had my iPad w/retina for very long so it'll be a good year or two before I upgrade. If Apple does not add any ports I will probably get the Surface. I'd rather not because I stopped buying non-Microsoft products for a reason, but those types of ports are critical to my tech life and since this is the first time I've had to be without those ports in several years it is a royal pain in the butt.

iPad and iPhone are superior products in every way but 1 and that is ports. I suspect more people will be buying android and windows devices for business and iPads for personal use.

When will Apple figure out that USB and microSD are must have items in a tablet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.