Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing Workspace and illegible Fonts

I am currently using FCP 5.1.4 and upon opening it this morning, the entire editing workspace has the same, illegible font (the letter 'A' in a box). Also, when I try and access my user preferences within FCP, it will crash.

User uploaded file

Also, when I try and access my user preferences within FCP, it will crash. I have trashed my preferences and repaired permissions, but beyond that, I am clueless on how to resolve this problem.

Here is the crash report (abbreviated version)...

Version: 5.1.4 (5.1.4)

Build Version: 2

Project Name: FCPApp

Source Version: 702211411

PID: 222

Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000024

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x0014e245 pKGGetCanvasWindow(KGCanvasRec*) + 9

1 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x000c56f2 InitSliderStuff(KGSliderRecord*, KGSliderType, double, double, long, unsigned char, double, long, char*) + 2178

2 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x000c5a3a pKGInitSlider(KGViewRecord*, KGSliderRecord*, KGSliderType, char*, KGRect*, double, double, long, unsigned char, double, long, long, char*, char*, unsigned long) + 204

3 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x000c5b1e pKGNewSlider(KGViewRecord*, KGSliderType, char*, KGRect*, double, double, long, unsigned char, double, long, long, char*, char*, unsigned long) + 216

4 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x002820c8 ScrollerInit(KGScrollerRecord*, KGRect*, char*, unsigned long) + 380

5 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x00282543 pKGScrollerMessage(long, long, KGDictInt*, KGViewRecord*) + 449

6 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x0026f0b3 ViewGetFromResource(KGFileRec*, long, KGViewRecord**, unsigned char) + 1557

7 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x0026f1cf pKGViewGetFromResource(KGFileRec*, long, KGViewRecord**) + 27

8 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x001ebada AudioGroupPreferenceHandler(long, long, KGDictInt*, void*) + 190

9 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x001d6cde pKGAppPreferenceShow(char*, unsigned char) + 904

10 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x0018c596 DefaultMenuHandler(long, long, KGDictInt*, void*) + 858

11 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x0013a1f3 HandleMenuCommand(long, unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char, KGErrorCode (*)(long, long, KGDictInt*, void*), void*) + 331

12 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x0013a3cf HandleCommand(long, unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char) + 251

13 com.apple.FinalCutPro 0x003cda98 CommandProcess(OpaqueEventHandlerCallRef*, OpaqueEventRef*, void*) + 362

Thanks-

Final Cut Pro 6, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Final Cut 5.1.4

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 11:29 AM

9 replies

Sep 30, 2013 12:43 PM in response to Shane Ross

Thanks for the response Shane -

I followed Larry Jordan's Final Cut Pro Tip of the Day

A couple of notes -

After trashing my preferences I opened FCP and found that my 'Choose Setup' prompt was not legible (still had the "A's in a box"font) . I also tried opening FCP under another user and while I was able to read my editing workspace and open projects, it was still acting strange and eventually crashed on me as well.

This has not been a fun/productive day 😟

Sep 30, 2013 1:32 PM in response to Shane Ross

Per your recommendation, I downloaded PREFERENCE MANAGER (ver 2.0.7 for OS X 4.x) and selected FCP and its associated files (seemed simple enough). I pressed TRASH and opened FCP. Unfortunately, I still get the 'boxed A' font for text.

I've had this setup for almost 6 years and this is the first time I've had this occur. It seems like it would be a simple enough fix, but it's proving to be a tough nail to hit.

In regards to the 'box A' font...is it possible in FCP to change the font for the editing workplace windows?

Oct 2, 2013 8:24 AM in response to Kev Wms

no idea if a reinstall of fcp would solve the problem. My guess is that it's an os problem rather than an fcp problem.

Here are a few things to try. launch fontbook and validate all fonts.

Go to system preferences: accounts and create a new account. Log out and log in to the new account.

Have you installed any new programs recently or done any software updates?

Are you using suitcase by any chance? It's a font managerment program and I've seen problems in other programs with it.

Oct 2, 2013 1:38 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

- Launched FONTBOOK and validated all fonts...every font checked out okay

- Went to System preferences and created a new account. I logged out and logged back in under the new account...FCP displayed the now familiar 'boxed A' font on the editing work space windows and related dialogue boxes . FCP also crashed when I tried to access the User Preferences (this was also happening in my original user account).

- I have not recently installed or updated any programs on my Mac. Also, I am not using Suitcase or any other font management software.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. This issue has me mystified (and a bit behind on projects). I've used FCP for almost 10 years and I have never come across this particular problem.

Editing Workspace and illegible Fonts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.