Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Devices Icon Unclickable!

Good evening to all,

a bit of time the finder of my OS X mountain lion get the following problem:

When I open the finder and in the sidebar under "Devices" I get my data partition (Mac OS Extended) and any pen drive and I click on, after a while i browse it OR especially when I move to a folder like "Documents "(which is part of the partition MAC), the device icon or PEN DRIVE or both, Device icon in the sidebar becomes gray and i don't click on it.

User uploaded file

At this point, this is tha situation:

- If I click on the sidebar shortcuts of folders that are on the device (eg. "Clienti" see photo): I can browse it;

- If then the path bar (which gives me something like: MAC> Volumes> Data> clienti) I click on the Volumes folder is displayed for a second and then refresh the finder window showing the MAC disk root.

- Plus, if I go directly to the MAC partition I do not see the "Volumes" folder

Sometimes as a solution to restart the finder (other I must restart my mac) and hope they do it again after a few hours (usually it is) and not after 10minutes ...

1000 Thanks to those who help me

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 1:16 PM

2 replies

Sep 30, 2013 2:32 PM in response to GimmyPetrini

Try deleting the com.apple.finder.plist

You need to look in your user Library/Preferences for the .plist. Either hold down the option key while using the Finder “Go To Folder” command and select your user Library in your home folder or use the Finder Go To Folder command and enter ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by loggin out/in and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer ones.

If you prefer to make your User library permanently visible, use the Terminal command found below.

Show User Library

You might want to bookmark the command. I had to use it again after I installed 10.8.5. I have also been informed that if you drag the user library to Finder it will remain visible.

Devices Icon Unclickable!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.