Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't use iPhone on JVC car stereo since iOS7.

Prior to the OS update I had zero problems using my 4S in my car for music. Since the update it's completely unusable. The second I plug the phone into the USB cord it automatically starts playing Pandora--which is annoying in and of itself--even though the Pandora app will NOT be open. I check background running programs and make sure it's not open and yet it's still playing Pandora automatically. That's the first problem, because I can't exit Pandora...because it's not open in the first place. I unplug my phone to open and then close Pandora so I can listen to the music stored on the phone itself. Now, I can play that music fine, however the stereo display flashes PAUSE or CHK DEVICE instead of the track/artist. To make matters worse, if I try to change the volume of the music, the stereo volume immediately goes to 0 and only alternates between 0 and 1 so I can't hear anything, and sometimes randomly the volume starts working again but it's playing PANDORA AGAIN, and not the music I was listening to on the phone.

I tried the stereo with my wife's iPhone, also 4S but without the new OS update, and it works totally fine without any of the issues I'm having. I tried resetting the stereo but all it did was make it worse and now it's scrolling some in-store display on what the stereo is capable of which just makes this even more frustrating than it already is. This stereo is only a few months old, and I don't want to spend the money on the 5S if it's not going to perform one of the primary functions I purchased an iPhone for in the first place. Please fix this problem.

Stereo Model: JVC KD-R540

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 3:52 PM

I am having issues with the iPod/iPhone controls on my JVC KD-S79BT car stereo as well. mainly it's that the control buttons on the unit do nothing when pressed while my iPhone 5s is plugged in via USB and music is playing. It won't advance tracks or pause. sometimes when I plug the phone in the stereo screen just blinks "reading" and never starts the music or the phone shows that music is playing, but no sounds comes from the car speakers. I had the same issues with my iPhone 4s after upgrading it to iOS 7. i checked JVC's website for a possible firmware update, but there is nothing listed for my model. this is extremley frustrating since this is the exact reason i bought the head unit for: to play music from my iPhone and have in unit controls.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2013 3:52 PM in response to JPLawrence

I am having issues with the iPod/iPhone controls on my JVC KD-S79BT car stereo as well. mainly it's that the control buttons on the unit do nothing when pressed while my iPhone 5s is plugged in via USB and music is playing. It won't advance tracks or pause. sometimes when I plug the phone in the stereo screen just blinks "reading" and never starts the music or the phone shows that music is playing, but no sounds comes from the car speakers. I had the same issues with my iPhone 4s after upgrading it to iOS 7. i checked JVC's website for a possible firmware update, but there is nothing listed for my model. this is extremley frustrating since this is the exact reason i bought the head unit for: to play music from my iPhone and have in unit controls.

Oct 21, 2013 4:24 AM in response to Ainotamashi

Ainotamashi wrote:

It won't advance tracks or pause. sometimes when I plug the phone in the stereo screen just blinks "reading" and never starts the music

Same here I had zero issues with my JVC radio (cant remember the model number off the top of my head) untill ios 7 on my iphone 4. I tried two different cables no change I removed the face plate and cleaned the connections again no change. Wwhen I pause it blinks and restarts in about 2 seconds. They funny thing is when I make or recieve a call the radio volume shuts off and the song pauses the pnone will charge thru the cable also.This was one of the main reasons I purchased this radio.

Oct 25, 2013 8:38 PM in response to JPLawrence

I'm having the same issues. I've searched the JVC site in hopes of finding an update for the stereo, but no luck. The Bluetooth pairing is working just fine, and my phone charges with the USB plug attached to the stereo, but Pandora doesn't work, and there is no volume when the my iPhone is connected with the iPod/iPhone function on the stereo.

Is this an iOS7 problem? Stereo model is KW-AV61BT

Nov 17, 2013 9:44 PM in response to KBWM

This same issue is happening to me as well. I have an AV70BT and listening to music or streaming audio from Pandora or other apps via bluetooth pairing works fine, however, I cannot use it as it's intended (opening using the button on the head unit etc). The iPod/iPhone cable is now useless as well. I don't know if it would help to annoy JVC since I don't think they're officially wanting to support the 'older' decks (even though it's not that old in my opinion) but I got this as a Christmas gift last year and it wasn't cheap so naturally I would really not like to have to upgrade it so soon. =\

At least I can use the bluetooth but I really liked it when it worked the proper way. So nice.

Jan 7, 2014 5:15 PM in response to JPLawrence

I don't know if you solved this problem yet but I was having same problem with my iPod connected to it. All that would come up was "Reading" as well. First I thought it was bad connection ,but it wasn't . So then I tried switching it to the front USB but it was the same thing. The only way I could get sound through it was if I pressed play before I hooked up the USB cable and then plug it in. However I had no control from the head unit and it continued to say "Reading". The last thing I tried was to power down (all the way off) my iPod and turn it back on. Then I plugged it back into the USB and Presto! Everything was working again! Hope this helps! .... BTW sometimes as I listen to the music it will say no USB then say Reading (like i unplugged it from the cable) and music will come on again . But this has done it since I bought it. Not a big deal but don' know why it does it.

Dec 10, 2015 4:13 PM in response to JPLawrence

I have the same problem. Boy was it frustrating when I discovered it after getting my new iPhone 6s!

The only workaround that has been successful for me is to open the Pandora app and logout. Then when I plug the phone back into the JVC unit, it tries to search for the Pandora account and says "SETUP", which effectively disables it from automatically opening it. Then I can use other apps as the source for audio. If I decide I want to listen to Pandora in the car I'll just have to login again. It's not the best, but it works for right now.

Hope this helps anyone that was as frustrated as I was with this!!

Can't use iPhone on JVC car stereo since iOS7.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.