Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to proceed with backup of corrupted drive - CCC vs SuperDuper

I have had all kinds of problems with my macbook and I have no choice but to wipe my drive and re-install. Actually, to tell the truth, my internal drive was still under warranty so I am receiving a new drive and reinstalling to that.

I'm not 100% sure that the problem is the drive, but I have tried every other solution I've found: clearing caches, repairing permissions in safe and regular mode, hardware testing (said all was well, I will be doing an extended test tonight), um, what else, keychains repaired. It's been a really fun couple days. As for what it's doing to make a long story short it will operate "normally" for an hour or so and something will cause the wheel to start spinning or it just simply freezes (usually the mouse can still be moved around).

Anyways.

So. I have a backup that's about a week old. Which may be good if indeed there are corrupt files. However, this backup is a superduper backup and again, I'd lose about a week's worth of data.

I bought another hard drive to back up to today using Carbon Copy Cloner since I've been told and believe that it's a bit more useful for this type of situation. The however for that is that now that I'm here I wonder if I should go ahead and clone this potentially corrupt drive.

So: lose a week's worth of files (or at least manually back up the important ones...) or go ahead and just use CCC to clone existing hard drive and reinstall from that.

I know it sounds obvious but I thought I'd reach out to the community for feedback.

On another note... a very strange thing I wanted to share when I was accessing my login.keychain file which apparently had become weird (along with everything else on my computer), I noticed that the file icon for this file was a bizarre bird (since renamed old.keychain). It makes me think virus. I know. No such thing... but... Am I crazy? Why is that there? Attached picture.

User uploaded file

Thank you very much for your feedback

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 6:01 PM

7 replies

Sep 30, 2013 6:13 PM in response to Catnip Toy

One possible way would be making a Live CD/USB of something like Ubuntu. If you boot from that and choose "try Ubuntu" you will get to a desktop and on rummaging through the file system you may be able to copy/paste all the files you've updated in the last week to a new drive.

That might be less for a potentially damaged drive to cope with than a cloning.

Oct 29, 2013 10:46 PM in response to Catnip Toy

Hey Dudes, Dudettes,

It looks like my internal hard drive cable was hella messed up. Like about a million others in the forums. If you're experiencing all kinds of "do I has virus?" or "is hard drives corrupt?" issues, think about it. And explore. And then go to the Apple store and get that p.o.s. replaced in a flash.

High fives, all around.

How to proceed with backup of corrupted drive - CCC vs SuperDuper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.