Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the touch ID feature required on the iPhone 5s?

I'm interested in getting the phone, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of a touch ID yet.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7, Touch ID

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 6:34 PM

No it is not. Everything in the phone can be done with out the registration of fingerprints. However I have the 5s and love the concept and feature. Out of curiosity what are your reservations with the fingerprint scanner?

19 replies

Sep 30, 2013 6:49 PM in response to Rexshell

Fingerprints are stored within the iPhones memory and encrypted with apple encryption. Data sent back and forth is between the iPhone with apps for banking and such are also heavily encrypted. The way I think about it is like we say in the Army "locks aren't for keeping theives out, they're for keeping honest people honest". Even with out the TouchID it's a very sweet phone, especially gold!

Sep 30, 2013 7:17 PM in response to jfaul013

This is my first iPhone so that's why I'm being skeptical even though I already own 2 other apple products (Macbook Pro and iPad 3). there are so many new phones out. I just want to spend my money in the right place...All that I'm saying doesn't matter cause I'm going to end up witht he iPhone 5s in order to have all my music in one place and be able to transfer things from my other apple products to my phone (a music junkie and writers dream).

Sep 30, 2013 7:25 PM in response to Rexshell

You can order them online and have it shipped to your house and the phone will not activate until you receive it and turn it on so you'll maintain service. I myself swapped over to the Apple world and have loved it since! If nothing else my suggestion is to check in around 1300 (1pm) and 1500 (3 pm) daily to see if there has been a shipment. I had severe issues with my original Space Grey that I was in line for 5 hours for on release day (they sold out of Gold ones in 2 minutes literally) and ended up bringing it back to exchange it and they had just received a shipment that contained 32GB Gold iPhones for my carrier 😀

Is the touch ID feature required on the iPhone 5s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.