Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Loses Network Connection while Sleeping (Wake for Network Access ENABLED)

I have "Wake for Ethernet network access" enabled in my Energy Saver preferences. However, it appears that my Mac disconnects from the network entirely when it sleeps; therefore, this does not work when I am trying to connect while it's asleep.

I suspect this because it always takes a moment to connect to the network when I wake it up. Webpages don't load until about 30 seconds after the computer wakes up. I can't connect to my Mac over the Internet (with my port forwarding enabled) anymore, which is a big problem.

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 8:01 PM

9 replies

Sep 30, 2013 10:06 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

OK, I found out that my problem is something else. I thought that my Mac was not waking up. It, in fact, was waking up from network access, but after it wakes up, it disconnects from the network for 30 seconds for some reason. A configuration problem that's been happening on other computers too. I'm trying to figure that out.

Wake on network access doesn't require an Apple router, to my knowledge. I think you mean that network activation (forget what it was called) that was meant to work on newer Macs with iPhoto and stuff. I have an AEBS with wireless-N. I used to have an Actiontec router (horrible, by the way), and it worked on that. In fact, if you don't even go through the router and connect to the Mac on the same LAN, it will work. I just tried putting my Mac to sleep and connecting to it via AFP on another computer, and it woke up instantly.

Oct 1, 2013 7:15 AM in response to d00dbro

As long as it is present on your network, an Airport Express Base Station (AEBS) IS an Apple Router for this purpose, even if it is not acting as a Router on your Network.

I have not used Wake on Network Access, but based my answer on the information in this article, which states that you need the Bonjour Sleep Proxy service running on your Apple Router (or AppleTV device):

About Wake on Demand and Bonjour Sleep Proxy

Oct 7, 2013 7:50 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The article isn't very clear, but I've seen from a Google search "wake on LAN on Mac" that people think that the setting in Energy Saver enables simple wake on LAN as well. Maybe it does both. Wake on Demand has the advantages of advertising the sleeping Mac's services via Bonjour and responding to pings without waking up the sleeping Mac.

To be honest, I hardly know how Bonjour works, just that it's used to discover Apple devices on a network and that it gives each Mac an alternate hostname that you can use (for example, Bobs-Mac-Pro).. It seems like the Bonjour Sleep Proxy would only work if you're connecting via Bonjour to the Mac. If you connect directly by the IP address (192.168.1.12 for example), the router must send that straight to that Mac and not through a Bonjour Sleep Proxy (because how would it know to look for a BSP?). I tried connecting by address to my Mac from a computer on LAN while my Mac was asleep, and it woke up. It used to do that over the Internet, but now it doesn't, which is my problem. I was going to take it a step further and cut out any Bonjour Sleep Proxies totally by connecting the computers directly with ethernet, but that caused my Mac to refuse to sleep at all.

Oct 8, 2013 4:07 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ah, so I see how BSP works now. I had already read that page, but I didn't notice until now:

On the Bonjour page: "Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System (mDNS) service records."

On the Bonjour Sleep Proxy page, it says this: "A device acting as a sleep proxy server will respond to Multicast DNS queries for another, compatible device which has gone into low power mode."

So if I'm connecting from the WAN through a non-Apple router straight to my Mac at home by IP address, there is no mDNS query, so no Bonjour-enabled device will ever see that request before it goes to my Mac. It must be that the setting in System Preferences enables wake-on-LAN as well, or else my Mac would not be waking up. However, I now have a separate problem that's making my Mac never receive the packet, so I'll have to deal with that...

Oct 8, 2013 4:26 PM in response to d00dbro

when you enable wake-on-LAN for Hardware that supports it, a special "wake-up-packet" is sent by the Bonjour sleep proxy server. It is recognized by some low level hardware that is left half-on looking for that packet, and tells the Mac to wake up.

For testing purposes, you can use a simple freeware Utility like Wake550 to send a Wake-up packet and see if your Mac can wake up.

Nov 8, 2013 8:00 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet i have question for you.

Why I lost the Internet connection every time the Mac book pro wake up from sleep mode, I have a time capsule from 2 years ago.

this start happening like 1 month ago. And the Mac book pro from my wife do the same thing, every time i turn the computer off, or is going to sleep when wake up, I have to go to wireless settings and pick my wireless router again to be in the Internet.

can you help me. Thank you very much.

I just update it to 10.9, But I was happening before I update it.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Mac Loses Network Connection while Sleeping (Wake for Network Access ENABLED)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.