Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot find my downloaded rental on my computer

I rented a movie using my iMac and it started downloading. A couple of days later, I went to watch it, but now I can't find it anywhere in iTunes. Where can I find it, or how can I see if someone else watched it and used up my rental?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 30, 2013 9:33 PM

12 replies

Mar 28, 2014 2:11 PM in response to King_Penguin

I have the same question. I rented a movie in Itunes on my iMac because I wanted to rent the SD version, which didn't seem available with my remote using Apple TV. I cannot find my movie in my iMac, nor does it show up on my apple tv as a rental I've made. I signed out of my wifi and signed back in on my iTunes. I've restarted my iMac. I still can't find the movie. Where do I look for it? I don't seem to have a Video App on my iMac ... or DO I am I'm just not seeing it??

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can lend me 🙂

Aug 18, 2014 5:09 AM in response to sherrifromhutchinson

What did you rent it on, how long ago (they expire after 30 days, or 24 or 48 hours depending upon your country after starting to watch it, whichever is the soonest), and what have you done with it since renting it - a rental can only be on one device or computer at a time, so if you moved it from your computer to your iPad then that will have removed it from your computer.

Aug 18, 2014 7:18 AM in response to King_Penguin

I rented in iTunes on my Mac Pro to send it to my iPad through the iTunes , just like I always have Movie -TV shows but now . They down load to my mac pro just find and I get them to and into my library put them on my iPad to watch later. In the mean time I have downloaded other TV shows etc. I go back and sink my iPad back to my mac pro to get the new shows and ALL my rented movie are gone off my iPad. So also go back to look on my mac Pro to find them and they are also gone. I have not even opened the movie on mac or iPad I was saving them for later and know I have 22-25 day left before they expire. Please help me, can you give me step by step instructions.

Aug 18, 2014 7:48 AM in response to sherrifromhutchinson

Rentals aren't synced to an iPad in the same way as bought films or TV programmes, they are moved (and when you move them to a device they are deleted from your computer, you can only have one copy of a rental).

If it's not in the Videos app on your iPad (there isn't a 'rentals' tab in the Videos app), it doesn't show in Settings > General > Usage > Videos, and you can't find it via the iPad's spotlight search screen (pull down the centre of the home screen in iOS ; swipe your first home screen to the right in iOS 6 and below), and it's not in the Movies of your Mac's iTunes library, then you could try the 'report a problem' page to contact iTunes Support and see if they will grant a redownload : http://reportaproblem.apple.com

Or you can try contacting iTunes Support via this page : http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/ - click on Contact iTunes Store Support on the right-hand side of the page, then Purchases, Billing & Redemption

I cannot find my downloaded rental on my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.